Advanced Iron Home
August 14, 2018, 09:46:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dan Slott is Iron Man's new writer.  (Read 598 times)
Alexandre Juliao
Classic Golden Avenger

« on: January 20, 2018, 03:55:22 PM »

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/dan-slott-leaving-amazing-spider-man-will-write-iron-man.html

Let's wait and see. Slott said the same things that Fraction and Bendis said when they were about to take over the book and we all saw the amount of damage to the character these runs caused.

On the other hand, Slott has written Spider-Man as an Iron Man light in recent years. Even using Iron Man villains in those stories. And they were good stories.

The question is whether he will have to deal with the mess that Bendis has left, or whether he will start with the house already cleaned.

I had hoped that Marvel would give the book to Christos Gage, Fred Van Lente, or Al Ewing, who are writers who understand and like Iron Man.
ADour
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 06:59:46 PM »

I was really really hoping Al Ewing was going to take over. He even was in the perfect spot, with some of his books having been cancelled recently.

I think there's no need to be worried. Slott has overall done a great work with Spider-Man, and only a handful of his decisions have been doubtful. Considering he's going to take the reins as soon as Tony returns, I think we don't need to be worried he'll do something extreme like what his Spider-Man run has been known for. He also played a lot with elements from past continuity in his Spider-Man run, so that's something.

While writing Spider-Man, he did a pretty good job at using Spidey's rogues gallery, even updating and making relevant some villains that desperately needed attention. Iron Man needs that. Slott also did wonderful at showcasing Parker Industries as a conglomerate, and hopefully he focuses on the businessman aspect of Iron Man.

Plus, he also wrote the wonderful tear-jerking Silver Surfer series. So he's good in my book because of it. Too bad I've heard stories about him being kind of a jerk to fans here and there.

Alexandre Juliao
Classic Golden Avenger

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 02:05:39 PM »

Yes. Al Ewing is in a perfect position to take over the book. Who knows if it will not be his turn next time?

Slott in general and with the exception of Spider-Man, does not stay in the same title for a long time. I do not say this to his detriment, quite the contrary. In Spider-Man for example his stories were great for the first three / four years and then quality began to drop. And in fact, his Silver Surfer was brilliant. And I believe that in large part, this was due to the fact that he already knew from the beginning how the story would end.

I may be wrong but as we are in 2018 and the last issue of Bendis will be published in May, I believe we will have a year and seven months of Tony Stark and in 2020 we will have Arno Stark wearing the armor (a new one, because Gillen's has already been relegated to limbo). Then in 2021 we'll have Tony back and maybe a new writer.
Iron Guy
Modular Armor

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:51:29 AM »

Interesting idea. But you would have to reconcile the 2 versions of Arno (Gillens & the original) which would take a fair amount of exposition. He's now whole, he has a wife & son (who'll have to be killed by a terrorist at some point). You really wouldn't have very much time to build a relationship with the character before you have to sweep him under the rug to bring Tony back. If you go with Arno you really need to go all in. But it's all academic, for there really is only 1 true Iron Man. 
Alexandre Juliao
Classic Golden Avenger

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »

Interesting idea. But you would have to reconcile the 2 versions of Arno (Gillens & the original) which would take a fair amount of exposition. He's now whole, he has a wife & son (who'll have to be killed by a terrorist at some point). You really wouldn't have very much time to build a relationship with the character before you have to sweep him under the rug to bring Tony back. If you go with Arno you really need to go all in. But it's all academic, for there really is only 1 true Iron Man. 

Undoubtedly Tony Stark is the only true Iron Man, but considering the lack of love that Marvel has had for him for so many years and the year 2020 coming, I doubt they will resist the temptation to replace him once again.

If that does happen, I'm sure Slott will use the original Arno Stark, because it was in a Spider-Man Annual that a detailed backstory was given to him and that would give Slott the chance to include Spider-Man in some way.

I believe half of Gillen's run was completely eliminated from the chronology. Or even all of it. The Arno Stark he created probably does not exist anymore. It's a shame, because I really liked what he wrote and unfortunately the only bad idea Gillen had, survived the soft reboot after the Secret War.
ADour
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 03:07:59 PM »

I'm pretty surprised that Bendis kept the adoption plot ball going, but didn't include Arno, especially since up until Amanda's introduction, he was the biggest impact Gillen's retcon had in the present.

I really hope Slott re-introduces him, for two reasons. a) He was an interesting character despite the retcon he came from, and b) the adoption retcon has been reinforced with the exploration of Tony's true parentage, so at this point ignoring Arno is just dumb. It's not like they are ignoring both him and Tony being adopted. I'd like to think he just spent all this time working on Troy undisturbed.

Iron Guy
Modular Armor

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 02:05:52 AM »

Maybe he's found a way to fix himself with Extremis? That would take care of the physical differences. And while working on that he meets his wife. This would then give us the Arno we were introduced to in Spider-Man Annual #15. I wouldn't mind seeing this come about. I've collected all of Arno's appearances and find him an interesting character. His evolution over the years from arrogant businessman to ruthless mercenary to finally a hero with a conscience ( though still capable of killing with no compunction if need be) has been good reading. It's just that I don't like the idea of just using him as a filler for a year and then ditching him without a second thought. 
Alexandre Juliao
Classic Golden Avenger

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 10:33:46 AM »

I'm pretty surprised that Bendis kept the adoption plot ball going, but didn't include Arno, especially since up until Amanda's introduction, he was the biggest impact Gillen's retcon had in the present.

I really hope Slott re-introduces him, for two reasons. a) He was an interesting character despite the retcon he came from, and b) the adoption retcon has been reinforced with the exploration of Tony's true parentage, so at this point ignoring Arno is just dumb. It's not like they are ignoring both him and Tony being adopted. I'd like to think he just spent all this time working on Troy undisturbed.

I agree. I also really liked Arno, despite the retcon. In fact, Gillen's run in the book was very good and it's a shame that the only bad idea he had, was the one that survived the change of writers.

As for Bendis ignoring what had already been established earlier about Tony’s adoption, I don’t think he was interested in knowing. As is standard for him, he just got informed about the basics and made his own version.

Maybe he's found a way to fix himself with Extremis? That would take care of the physical differences. And while working on that he meets his wife. This would then give us the Arno we were introduced to in Spider-Man Annual #15. I wouldn't mind seeing this come about. I've collected all of Arno's appearances and find him an interesting character. His evolution over the years from arrogant businessman to ruthless mercenary to finally a hero with a conscience ( though still capable of killing with no compunction if need be) has been good reading. It's just that I don't like the idea of just using him as a filler for a year and then ditching him without a second thought. 

At first, I also thought that the two versions of Arno were incompatible with each other, because I was accustomed to the idea that he is Morgan's son, thanks to What If Vol 2 # 53. But, re-reading Spider-Man Annual # 15, I saw that there is no mention of the real degree of kinship between him and Tony. So the two characters can be morphed together easily.

The interesting thing is that the most recent reference to Iron Man 2020, was made in The Amazing Spider-Man # 683, written by Dan Slott himself. Now more than ever, I am convinced that Slott will use him.

I also find Arno Stark very interesting and I think it would be cool if, in case the original Arno and the new one were merged together, Marvel would launch a new volume of International Iron Man, with him as the protagonist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: