Advanced Iron Home
November 21, 2017, 11:33:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that Bendis has jumped from the sinking ship, who will write issue # 600?  (Read 65 times)
Alexandre Juliao
Classic Golden Avenger

« on: November 09, 2017, 05:18:30 AM »

It takes 3 to 4 months to complete a comic. This means that issue # 597 is probably ready, with 3 issues remaining to complete the storyline.

What Tom Brevoort usually does in these cases, is to call someone to rescript issues and write the end of storylines, avoiding dangling plots for the future writer.

Let's see if we will have any news about this, when Marvel and specifically Brevoort, recover from the unpleasant surprise. Unpleasant for them, but very pleasant for us.
ADour
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 02:24:16 PM »

Bendis was Marvel's pet writer, so there is no way him leaving was "jumping the sinking ship." The dude pretty much had as much control as an editor, so of all people, I wouldn't consider his departure a bad omen. Truly the only reason why he would want to leave is because, like he said, he wanted to try something different after 17 years with the same company. Even then, a lot of new writers have started working for Marvel recently, and they all have been really good, like Jim Zub, Saladin Ahmed, Max Bemis and Rodney Barnes. There are also many other main-stays like Mark Waid, Peter David, Dan Slott and Greg Pak. And others that are in-betweeners, like Al Ewing, Cullen Bunn, Jason Aaron and Charles Soule.

I agree that Bendis' departure will be good for Marvel, considering it will force them to rely on other writers to lead the way. And Marvel has writers that are much more competent than Bendis in that regard. Bendis is such a loose cannon, it's kind of a good thing he left considering nowadays his output was leaning more towards the "miss" part of hit-or-miss. Riri William was his pet character, so this hopefully means she will fade into obscurity now.

Well, back on topic: As for Invincible Iron Man #600? It's extremely likely it's still gonna be written by Bendis.

Exclusive deals are not an immediate thing, they are announced in advance. It's not like they put a leash on a writer and suddenly take them away. For example, Charles Soule's exclusive deal with Marvel was announced on September 2014, his last work for DC came out on March 2015. Tom King's exclusive deal with DC was announced on February 2016, his last work for Marvel came out on October 2016. Invincible Iron Man #600 should come out on May, which is barely six months away and is very likely in that window between the annoucement of the exclusive deal and the moment it starts.

Alexandre Juliao
Classic Golden Avenger

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 05:26:54 AM »

Marvel is a sinking ship. They sell less and less comics every month and this has been happening for a long time. Bendis left, just because he didn’t want to sink along with the ship he helped lead toward the iceberg. Bendis's departure is certainly a bad omen for his former co-workers because Marvel has no way of spinning it in a positive way.

Yes, i know that takes time to start a new job at a new publisher. What I don’t know, is whether Bendis bothered to write all the issues of the current storyline. Particularly I think not, because recently an edition of Infamous Iron Man and another one of Invincible Iron Man, were totally modified after they have been solicited. This is common when a title switch writers, but with the same writer I didn’t remember seeing anything like that. For me, this is a sign that he never had an idea about what to write and so, negotiating a contract with a different company, I don’t see why he would bother to finish what he didn’t know how to start.
ADour
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 12:25:45 PM »

The entire comic industry is selling less and less. And even then, Marvel's particular decline from last year is subsiding. The sales failings also occurred in most part due to Marvel pushing the legacy heroes, something that is already being worked on, with the return of the real Steve Rogers and Wolverine, which will soon be followed by the return of Tony Stark, Odinson as Thor, Banner Hulk, the original Jean Grey, etc.

And actually, based on reports from certain sites, Bendis' reason for leaving consisted on him wanting a bigger paycheck (even though he was writing less than before) and being disgruntled about the dissolution of the Marvel Creative Committee, which resulted from Feige's doings and had nothing to do with the comics-producing branch of Marvel. It's been reported that Bendis was given a spot in DC's equivalent of the creative committee for the DCEU. The reports also mentioned that Bendis had pretty much written every character he wanted to write, so he had a reason for leaving related to his creative process.

As for the solicit changes, oh boy. Differences between the solicit and the final product was one of Bendis' staples for years, imo. It's one of the reasons the covers of his books are noticeably vague with regards to the actual content, and in certain occasions don't even match the final product. One particularly infamous case was 2015's Uncanny X-Men #31. The cover teased a confrontation between Havok and Cyclops, even though Alex only appeared in the final page.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: