Advanced Iron Home
December 18, 2017, 04:20:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Invincible Iron Man Relaunch  (Read 1875 times)
Dayle88
Silver Centurion

« on: July 06, 2016, 09:41:29 AM »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/new-hero-armors-up-invincible-iron-man-relaunch-from-bendis-caselli/pageno=?utm_campaign=new-hero-armors-up-in-invincible-iron-man-relaunch-from-bendis-c&utm_medium=internal_links&utm_source=breaking_banner

Bye Marvel, it was fun for a while. If they want to relaunch a new 'Iron Man' that's fine but the insinuation that a 15 year old student who stole the designs is so much smarter and making bigger headway is another massive misrepresentation of Marvel's best characters. These things come and go and there's often lots of rough with the smooth with comics but the reality is that the smooth is only okay these days. It doesn't warrant going along with this crap anymore.

The timing and lead up to this is the last straw for me too. All the stuff we put up with from when Fraction divebombed, to a decent Gillen run with a fatal flaw and the re-position of Tony at Marvel's forefront that has already been thrown under the bus.

I'll come back to Marvel if when Tony comes back it is widely praised as being special or if the top of Marvel's creative tree finally gets overhauled. Other than that I'll keep hoping for a collection of the Knauf's stuff.
ADour
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:21:47 AM »

I think I'm more annoyed by the unnecessary renumbering than anything else. C'mon, make it last at least longer than 20 issues before relaunching it. Well, I'm actually also annoyed by the unnecessary status-quo shake-up barely a year after we got rid of the latest status-quo shake-up. Maybe it can make for an interesting story. I agree that elevating Riri by diminishing Stark is a bit infuriating. I won't accept that a 15 year-old is smarter than the smartest person in the room.

The fact that the book is still going to be called Iron Man might provide a hint that Tony Stark, while stepping down from the role, will still have a lot of importance. At least he won't be forgotten, missing, presumed dead, dead or anything in between. It's something.

Iron Mark
Modular Armor

Iron Man Nerd

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 01:57:59 PM »

So much for that push to make Tony a flagship character, huh? One alright arc followed by Civil War II prologue only to be relaunched for a character who has appeared in 3-4 issues so far.
stark182
Classic Golden Avenger

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 02:00:02 PM »

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/new-hero-armors-up-invincible-iron-man-relaunch-from-bendis-caselli/pageno=?utm_campaign=new-hero-armors-up-in-invincible-iron-man-relaunch-from-bendis-c&utm_medium=internal_links&utm_source=breaking_banner

Bye Marvel, it was fun for a while. If they want to relaunch a new 'Iron Man' that's fine but the insinuation that a 15 year old student who stole the designs is so much smarter and making bigger headway is another massive misrepresentation of Marvel's best characters. These things come and go and there's often lots of rough with the smooth with comics but the reality is that the smooth is only okay these days. It doesn't warrant going along with this crap anymore.

The timing and lead up to this is the last straw for me too. All the stuff we put up with from when Fraction divebombed, to a decent Gillen run with a fatal flaw and the re-position of Tony at Marvel's forefront that has already been thrown under the bus.

I'll come back to Marvel if when Tony comes back it is widely praised as being special or if the top of Marvel's creative tree finally gets overhauled. Other than that I'll keep hoping for a collection of the Knauf's stuff.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I am actually gonna drop this book...oh well there's still moon knight
Dayle88
Silver Centurion

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 02:27:01 PM »

I just read issue 11. Is this entire, non-armoured arc to give Riri a villain later on?
Iron Guy
Modular Armor

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 05:39:48 PM »

I'm sorry. But I have my doubts about whether I can go along with this change or not. It certainly shakes up the book. But, is it change that's actually out to accomplish something? Or, is it change just for it's own sake. I can't help but think that it's the latter. I do have to admit that I'm not big on reading female characters, so maybe there's a bias there, but I do more readily identify with a male character than a female one.   
Typhon
Hulk Buster Armor

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 01:53:48 AM »

So I have a theory about this and similar moves made by Marvel recently.

Legacy.

Specifically in universe legacy.  Marvel doesn't have it.

The biggest complaint against DC's New52 was how it swept the slate clean.  It erased legacy characters such as Wally West and Donna Troy as well as the Teen Titans team, diminished the role of the Robins, erased every Batgirl save the original, and that's just some of what happened.  The result was a universe that was smaller rather than grand. 

Cue DC Rebirth which hailed the return of Wally West, pre-flashpoint Superman, the Titans team, and reestablished the history the universe.  The legacy.  Fans are eating it up.

Marvel has no answer to this, so I believe they are in the process of creating one.  Think about it.  Miles Morales (Spider-Man), Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel), Amadeus Cho (Hulk), Ian Rogers (Nomad but will be Cap at somepoint), the Young X-Men from the 60's, Jane Foster (Thor), and now Riri Williams (Iron Man).  Even Vision has a kid now. 

Marvel has no Dick Grayson, Donna Troy, Wally West, Roy Harper, Damien Wayne, Jonathan Kent (Clark and Lois's Kid) or Kyle Raner.  They don't exist.

I believe Marvel is trying to cover this ground.  Is it a good idea?  Yes.  Is this execution of it the right method?  I don't know given that I don't read any of the titles with these heroes on a regular basis.  I did read the first Ms. Marvel trade and can see why people liked it.  I will also say that these new Marvel kids are generally well liked among fans.  Do I like Tony being replaced?  No.  I will though give it a shot because I have enjoyed Bendis's IM work so far and do enjoy his books for the most part. 

Marvel wants a legacy.  What do you guys think? 

I'm not a fan of the book being relaunched again.  Have they said anything about the second series, International?  Is that one ending too?           

ADour
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 05:26:11 AM »

So I have a theory about this and similar moves made by Marvel recently.

Legacy.

Specifically in universe legacy.  Marvel doesn't have it.

The biggest complaint against DC's New52 was how it swept the slate clean.  It erased legacy characters such as Wally West and Donna Troy as well as the Teen Titans team, diminished the role of the Robins, erased every Batgirl save the original, and that's just some of what happened.  The result was a universe that was smaller rather than grand. 

Cue DC Rebirth which hailed the return of Wally West, pre-flashpoint Superman, the Titans team, and reestablished the history the universe.  The legacy.  Fans are eating it up.

Marvel has no answer to this, so I believe they are in the process of creating one.  Think about it.  Miles Morales (Spider-Man), Kamala Khan (Ms. Marvel), Amadeus Cho (Hulk), Ian Rogers (Nomad but will be Cap at somepoint), the Young X-Men from the 60's, Jane Foster (Thor), and now Riri Williams (Iron Man).  Even Vision has a kid now. 

Marvel has no Dick Grayson, Donna Troy, Wally West, Roy Harper, Damien Wayne, Jonathan Kent (Clark and Lois's Kid) or Kyle Raner.  They don't exist.

I believe Marvel is trying to cover this ground.  Is it a good idea?  Yes.  Is this execution of it the right method?  I don't know given that I don't read any of the titles with these heroes on a regular basis.  I did read the first Ms. Marvel trade and can see why people liked it.  I will also say that these new Marvel kids are generally well liked among fans.  Do I like Tony being replaced?  No.  I will though give it a shot because I have enjoyed Bendis's IM work so far and do enjoy his books for the most part. 

Marvel wants a legacy.  What do you guys think? 

I'm not a fan of the book being relaunched again.  Have they said anything about the second series, International?  Is that one ending too?           

That's a nice analysis.

Nothing has been said about Int'l Iron Man, but people expect Doom to take it over.

IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 03:21:52 PM »

If this excites you, then read the books.  You'll be supporting your feelings and opinions that this adds diversity to comics.
If not, then don't buy it out of addiction and collection behavior.  All you'll be doing is supporting Marvel's trend of cultural appropriation and exclusion.

This book will service several groups - media groups, diversity champions, and gender fluid folks who will enjoy the concept of a girl lead in a book that remains titled "Iron Man".

JDD01
Silver Centurion

Artist of Armors

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 07:13:38 PM »

Interesting armor design from the guy who drew Ultimate Iron Man's Tony's ghost haunted armor from the storyline Dark Ultimates.

Check out my artwork at: http://www.jddishmonart.deviantart.com/,checkout my webcomic: http://nexgentheseries.thecomicstrip.org/
,my tumblr at http://sealabcomicproduction.tumblr.com/,and my new Patreon Page: http://www.patreon.com/jddishmon for exclusive access to new comics before everyone else
ADour
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 08:17:00 PM »

Interesting armor design from the guy who drew Ultimate Iron Man's Tony's ghost haunted armor from the storyline Dark Ultimates.

Wasn't this redesign made by Stefano Caselli? The guy who drew that Ultimate Comics Ultimates storyline was Carmine Di Giandomenico.

Stark Resilient
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 10:55:56 PM »

So much for that push to make Tony a flagship character, huh? One alright arc followed by Civil War II prologue only to be relaunched for a character who has appeared in 3-4 issues so far.

That's what I hate about this.  I understand Marvel has a diversity agenda right now and that is great.  It's absolutely important and a worthy cause.  However, the All-New All-Different relaunch was supposed to do this for Tony.  Did Bendis accomplish this goal?  I say hell no.  I'll give this book a shot, but I don't have high hopes for it.

IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 01:59:49 AM »

Bleeding Cool Bestseller List November 2016.

As reported by the following retailers:

G-Mart Comic Books– Champaign, IL
    Rodman Comics of Ankeny, Iowa
    Issues Needed Comics, Apple Valley, Minnesota
    Dr. No’s Comics & Games Superstore of Marietta, Georgia
    Yesteryear Comics of San Diego, California
    Fat Jack’s Comicrypt of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Famous Faces & Funnies of West Melbourne, Florida.
    Graham Crackers Comics – 11 locations in the Mid-West

Some highlights.....

Quote from: Bleeding Cool Independent Retailer
Don’t let the October sales charts fool you, it’s definitely still DC dominating the charts when it comes to actual sales to customers and our November orders are much more in line with actual sales than our October orders were.

We are seeing NO interest in Riri as Iron Man so far, and I think Marvel screwed up announcing all this four months ago.  I am only ordering about a third of our orders for issue 1 for the second issue and even that might still be too high unless the next few days really bring some people in for it.

Marvel can’t get out of a death spiral, apparently: even their two big launches of the week (Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows and invincible Iron Man) failed to crack our store’s top 10, coming in at 14 and 15 respectively.  It’s time for some serious house-cleaning at Marvel–they really need to find someone who has a clue about what readers want to see.

Really need Marvel to correct the direction they are going. DC sells well and now Marvel is completely the opposite. I keep thinking Marvel has hit bottom sales wise but I keep getting proved wrong. Which means we are losing money with Marvel product.

This last quote was very interesting to me as it's something that I've talked about for years when it was coming to Iron Man's perceived popularity in print (based on sales that is)....
Since we didn’t qualify for unlocking the variants for Marvel’s Now Invincible Iron Man #1 it barley cracked the top ten for us. So Marvel needs to crank out tons of variants to take market share..Kinda of sad!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: