Advanced Iron Home
December 18, 2017, 04:11:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My thoughts on International Iron Man  (Read 1562 times)
Alexandre Juliao
Classic Golden Avenger

« on: April 28, 2016, 05:11:48 PM »

With all due respect to Tom Brevoort, who is without a doubt one of the finest editors in the comics business, International Iron Man is another glaring example how less he cares for Iron Man.

Way back in 2006, the Execute Program storyline was such a complete continuity mess, that even the main character was named wrong. Tony Stark Jr? Really?

Now in this book, Cambridge is a neighborhood of London and Tony dated an Elektra rip-off whose mother have the same background as Viper / Madame Hydra. I wonder how many bad researched / uninspired plot lines this book have in store for us.
Dayle88
Silver Centurion

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:42:25 PM »

Maybe it's the American thing. 50 miles doesn't seem to be anything over there but over here it's another world ha ha.

I've no interest in the adoption thing, Tony is absolutely the worst character in all of comics to do that with, being the smarter but otherwise identical copy of his father, but I have enjoyed the past love interest and how it's going to play in to the present. Not original but it is more my kind of story than the first Invincible arc.
ADour
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 04:20:03 PM »

Shame on Brevoort for letting such glaring mistakes go to print, but I don't think this is evidence of him "caring less" for Iron Man, specially when he a) Iron Man was made the flagship Marvel character, b) he put Bendis on Iron Man, one of Marvel's top-selling and talented writers (and we are lucky we got the good side of his writing, and not the other one) and c) He made Iron Man have two titles.

I don't have any problem with Cassandra Gillespie, or her mother. I don't really see the similarities with Elektra, or her mother's with Madame Hydra. I mean, Cassandra and Elektra are old flames who used to be the daughters of rich people, but Cassandra still hasn't been shown as a ninja with daddy issues living on the edge, or her mother as an actual terrorist and mercenary, but instead a shady bussinesswoman.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 04:21:44 PM by ADour » Logged

Alexandre Juliao
Classic Golden Avenger

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 05:45:23 PM »

Shame on Brevoort for letting such glaring mistakes go to print, but I don't think this is evidence of him "caring less" for Iron Man, specially when he a) Iron Man was made the flagship Marvel character, b) he put Bendis on Iron Man, one of Marvel's top-selling and talented writers (and we are lucky we got the good side of his writing, and not the other one) and c) He made Iron Man have two titles.

I don't have any problem with Cassandra Gillespie, or her mother. I don't really see the similarities with Elektra, or her mother's with Madame Hydra. I mean, Cassandra and Elektra are old flames who used to be the daughters of rich people, but Cassandra still hasn't been shown as a ninja with daddy issues living on the edge, or her mother as an actual terrorist and mercenary, but instead a shady bussinesswoman.

My understanding is that Bendis got those books in the same way he got all his writing gigs since 2005. He pitches them directly to the EIC and then he pics an editor and not in the other and more usual way around.

Cassandra, like Elektra, is an old flame whose family was targeted by a terrorist organization that years later, resurfaces as a criminal. And when her mother told Tony about her past, it's exactly the same background that Viper have, without any difference at all.
Dayle88
Silver Centurion

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »

Story ended up being pretty straight forward and other than my love of Maleev's art and the action in the middle of the story it's been pretty dull. So, what do people think of the tag on the last page 'To be continued in Invincible Iron Man #1/Infamous Iron Man #1'?

Was it always planned that Tony would co-star in both books? Wouldn't surprise me that they'd outright lie about something like Riri for headlines. The result will be the same whether she was meant to be the star, she'll slowly disappear anyway like all replacements rather than side characters.

Probably just a tactic to get someone like me to buy the issues though.
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 02:12:48 PM »

The preorders for September are closing soon, and they include the new Iron Man relaunches. I am very curious to see how the monthly orders on these titles continue to develop. Of course the apologists will claim that the newest number one was a blistering success, but really we won't know the real curve of the orders until a few months down the road.

I ordered Iron Man through Bendis' for the sake of completion, but I am not buying any of the new books. I don't like the retcons (unneccessary and nonsense, given the character's history), the sense of cultural appropriation (alienating, cliche, token, and a double standard), and I don't identify with, nor look up to the the characters and unengaging supporting casts.

DC is printing great monthlies however, and Valiant is making some great Deluxe trade hard covers, so there's that!

Iron Guy
Modular Armor

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 01:07:05 AM »

This whole storyline was pretty unsatisfying. Sure his biological father had Howards hair and eye color but it can't possibly explain why Tony looked so much like Howard beyond the hair and eyes. And wow, Howard really beat the odds by just happening to adopt a baby that'll turn out to be smarter than him! Within the realm of possibility? sure. But probable? not very likely! I wish they hadn't started this whole thing! I mean what was the point of it all? To introduce Arno? Considering that he's already basically been forgotten, that was basically a waste! Furthermore, I think they could've found a better way to bring him in. I'm with IMJ on this, when they bring Tony back front and center in his book I hope whoever the writer is they find a way to retcon this whole mess out of existence and no one ever speaks of it again!   
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 11:25:17 AM »

This whole storyline was pretty unsatisfying. Sure his biological father had Howards hair and eye color but it can't possibly explain why Tony looked so much like Howard beyond the hair and eyes. And wow, Howard really beat the odds by just happening to adopt a baby that'll turn out to be smarter than him! Within the realm of possibility? sure. But probable? not very likely! I wish they hadn't started this whole thing! I mean what was the point of it all? To introduce Arno? Considering that he's already basically been forgotten, that was basically a waste! Furthermore, I think they could've found a better way to bring him in. I'm with IMJ on this, when they bring Tony back front and center in his book I hope whoever the writer is they find a way to retcon this whole mess out of existence and no one ever speaks of it again!   

We need Busiek - a continuity master - to fix this crap.
Besides, even if they did one day fix it, I am very burnt on Marvel's business direction and feel very alienated by what they (and other opportunists) claim is diversity, but really is nothing more than media pandering and token efforts resulting in nearly line-wide cultural appropriation.
It's crazy too because remember back in the New Avengers days? How greatly written Stark was by Bendis. I used to wish for him to be on the title. Now I can't even believe the amount of nonsense that we've gotten in print between Gillen and Bendis' run.  Tieri's run did some weird stuff back in volume 3, but this recent stuff......

Stark Resilient
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 10:25:24 PM »

The worst part is, for me at least, that Bendis's first arc was promising, much like Gillen's and Fractions. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: