Advanced Iron Home
December 18, 2017, 04:16:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iron Man Vol 3 Omnibus by Kurt Busiek and Sean Chen  (Read 2807 times)
Zero_Accountability
Classic Golden Avenger

Yeah, I can fly

« on: May 13, 2015, 05:56:06 PM »

Okay so I've read the most modern Iron Man series and wanted to check out more. Then I spotted this on Amazon. It's Volume 3 of Iron Man back in 1998+, and contains the first 25 issues as well as a few others, counting to 36 issues total. Volume 3 is the series I want to check out so this was a great buy for me. Got it in yesterday and love it! The reason I don't much like the older stuff is that the artwork is too distracting for me. I can't explain it. I just don't really like it, which is why I was looking for a series run that was more modern. But that's just me.

Overall, although the Omnibus weighs a ton, it's a great collectors item for any fan. Plus it'll take quite a bit to read through!

Dayle88
Silver Centurion

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 06:33:18 PM »

I started reading comics in about '95 when I was six and my first Iron Man issue was Heroes Reborn #1 (which I unashamedly still love and read regularly) and I carried on until about 2005 when I had a break after moving until the first film got me back in gear.

Busiek's Iron Man is one of my favourite runs and one of the best IM runs full stop. I feel privileged to have had the chance to read it as it happened. I loved it years ago and I jumped at the omnibus and love it now just as much every time I read it. Ironically, it being seventeen years old, it's a breath of fresh air nowadays. 
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 12:46:29 AM »

That's a great Omnibus!

Zero_Accountability
Classic Golden Avenger

Yeah, I can fly

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 12:53:38 PM »

I'm loving it so far and haven't been this excited to see what happened next since Invincible Iron Man a few years back. The only issue is that there are no other volumes. There's Iron Man by Joe Quesada that collects issues 26-32. And that's it. I'll have to buy the rest individually off eBay or something.

IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 05:17:32 PM »

Iron Man volume 3 was a really unique run of books. It began with Heroes Reborn and ended with Avengers Disassembled.  The highpoints are obviously Busiek and Chen, and much of the post Tieri stuff was decent.  The books that made up Tieri's run are pretty maligned by fans, and some of the Grell stuff splits the fanbase, although the Ryan art in that run was pretty good, and Grell had some cool Iron Man feats punctuate some otherwise weird stories.

Dayle88
Silver Centurion

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »

I actually have the original trade of Mask In The Iron Man (those Quesada issues) and have no idea why. I had the single issues already...

Iron Man volume 3 is punctuated by two opposing points for me. The amazing Busiek/Chen run and the 'manga' period with the S.K.I.N. armour.
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 03:54:40 AM »

manga' period with the S.K.I.N. armour.

I've never been a fan of the runs where Tony is on the run, or disappeared or down and out for months and months of issues. O'Neil's alcohol run, the S.K.I.N. issues and Fraction's crap just drag for me and are wildly uninteresting. One of the few arcs that embraced this that I thought did it better was the "Manhunt" arc from Volume 3. Not my favorite arc by any means, but it was better....

Dayle88
Silver Centurion

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 08:51:44 AM »

I find a bad story can be bearable if it has decent art the same way bad art can be mildly salvaged by a great story but I'll never get my head around why they thought anyone wanted that kind of artwork in an Iron Man book. And it wasn't a good story either.
Zero_Accountability
Classic Golden Avenger

Yeah, I can fly

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »

Still working my way through this series. I've loved every bit of it. I'm on the last few issues, around issue #60 or so. Hoping to pick up the last ones when I get paid. I'm curious to see how this run ends.

Obviously
Classic Golden Avenger

Stark Enterprises Janitor

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 09:11:21 AM »

Busiek/Chen was one of my favorite runs on the book though things really fall apart at S.K.I.N. Mask in the Iron Man was good but after that I completely lose interest.

The Iron Age is also fantastic, going back to retell the ToS days with modern sensibilities while paying respect to those stories. Busiek really "got" what Iron Man and Tony Stark was.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: