Advanced Iron Home
December 14, 2018, 01:15:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Huge Changes Coming To Marvel Comics  (Read 3133 times)
Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

AI Moderator, Metal Head Column Writer

« on: July 18, 2014, 03:39:29 PM »

http://bit.ly/1sxffjH

heath

Metal Head Movie News Writer
www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
SirReef
Modular Armor

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 12:01:04 PM »

They keep trying to spin it as a natural story -- but outside of Iron Man, I can't see anything more than a PR stunt. 

Personally, I never like the extra iterations of superheroes.  It just cheapens the original to me.  For instance, She-Hulk, Red Hulk, Skaar, X23, Dakken ... all just cheesy imitations that seem creatively devoid. 

I can hear the conversation in the boardroom now:
JQ: "So, Wolvering has a daughter?"
Pitchman: "Yeah, yeah! She can regenerate like her dad.  She very feral, like her dad.  Except, she's a girl and has two claws instead of three!  It's awesome."
JQ: "Yeah it is!"

The Rhodey being Iron Man fit the scenario.  Stark had a body guard, but was incapable of being IM.  So, Rhodey stepped up.  It fit with the storyline.  Plus, it's armor -- so pretty much anyone could learn to be IM.  Not anyone can be Tony (yes, I'm looking at you Arno) ... but anyone could be IM.

Can't they just think of new heroes/heroines that are actually cool?  Or do they just need to be off-shoots of the original?

This move, despite my overall reservation, is at least explainable. 

Captain America is black.  Fine.  Okay.  The part that bothers me is that it just seems like blacksploitation.  As if Marvel felt by making CA black they were going to be more PC and get more young black readers (which they might).  But I ask:
* Did we need another Captain America? 
* Did it have to be falcon, who is his own character?
* Why wasn't it just a random guy who was struggling in his own right and through a series of events is imbued with the serum ... just like Cap?

Thor-chick.  Okay, so she's the worthy one.  Fine.  It fits the pathos that whoever is worthy gets the power of Thor ... (except when Cap lifts it).  But announcing it on "The View"?  It just speaks to exactly why these moves were made. 

Again, I just feel like it was unneeded.  We could have had NEW heroes rather than this. 

But, I digress ... I was really looking forward to a Marvel 52 reboot.

Typhon
Hulk Buster Armor

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 01:20:02 PM »

Considering the shambles the New 52 is in, I hope that never happens.  It's been how many years now, and the timeline is still screwy.  We still have little to no idea what pre-reboot stories still count since it was again implied in another title recently that Superman has died before but the 4 Supermen never happened.  Batman Year 1 was originally said to be canon but with Year Zero, I don't see how, and how does most of Johns's Green Lantern relaunch actually works now that it's been said that Hal was never the Spectre. 

Since Marvel has pretty much stayed away from multi-Earths and early on blended their WW2 era heroes into the Marvel U rather than reinvent them (Flash, GL) then try to fit them in later, Marvel's continuity isn't screwy enough to need a reboot. 

Besides, if we did get one, who says their approach to New Stark would be any different? 
ADour
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 04:10:02 PM »

Well, I think it's fair to say X-23 is different than Wolverine. Her personality, relationship with other characters and basically what molded her. For a reason she has followers, and some people even like her more than Wolverine. Yes, Wolverine was turned into a weapon against his will and later escaped. But X-23 was born a weapon, and her origin features other tragedies that make it sadder, like the Trigger Scent and being forced to kill her only friend.

Regarding Captain America: Marvel has never referred to the new Captain America under the headline of "Captain America is black."

Yes, in Thor's case they were all like "Thor is a woman! Did you hear it? A woman." In Falcon's case, they have never referenced his skin color. It seems that people are forgetting that this new Captain America is not just black, it's one of Steve Roger's best friends, who deserves to be Captain America and is called Sam Wilson. It seems that people don't understand. They didn't change Captain America to make him black, they changed to make him Falcon. And they couldn't just have grabbed someone and give him the serum because the serum is irreproducible, as we know it since 1941.

And regarding why not new heroes: Can you name at least one original non-legacy character who held a successful series in the last decade?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: