Advanced Iron Home
April 28, 2017, 03:19:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WD MyCloud  (Read 17835 times)
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« on: February 21, 2014, 05:12:09 PM »

So for the longest time now I've sort of found these hackjob ways of doing things digitally across my house using two internal SATA 2.5" drives and a WD Passport as storage mediums. For a while I was using Windows Media Player as a networking interface here, but it is woefully inadequate. Then I just started storing stuff on an upgraded 650 something GB drive on my PS3, but that was filled quickly.

I recently discovered the WD MyCloud and picked up the 4TB model and let me tell you, this thing is awesome. Awesome.  I can now consolidate all of my AV files, and also use this device as a media server, a cloud unit and a giant hard drive. I've only played with it a bit, but it was enough to run some tests on my devices as well as remotely. I thought I'd write about it here for the tech crowd while it's busy doing a 100GB data dump of my music files.

Here are some highlights:
-TONS of storage. If you aren't a computer guy (and I'm really not), let me clarify by saying just how much you could store on a 4TB drive. Your entire music collection in 320kb MP3 as well as high FLAC format, more seasons of MP4 T.V. than you can shake a stick at, and an entire library of High Def (1gb+ each) movies, thousands of pictures of varying quality and still not come close to filling this thing up.

-Your PS3 detects it as a media server, and let me tell you - directly wired to your router (I have a Netgear Genie) and this thing streams high def wirelessly to your PS3 and then to your home theater effortlessly. As a test, I installed the app on my phone and streamed 2 separate video files to my home theater and my phone without any buffering at all.

-Your phone, which was previously a limited source of media now opens up your entire library of basically anything because of the remote access capabilities of the MyCloud device. Basically I could be visiting friends a state away, be talking about -any given song- and access it on my phone from my home server and play it mid conversation if I've stored it on the MyCloud drive.

-Lastly, I'm not a fan of the traditional cloud concept - keeping my files on someone else's server is not my thing. The "Cloud" is not the "ether" as many would have you believe. Those files you upload are physically residing somewhere other than your own home. But this device changes that because everything is stored on a pretty awesome looking, very discreet lil box somewhere in your home (just like any hard drive), but is now accessible remotely via apps or log-in.

This thing does what I've been hackjobbing other components into doing for some time now, but it does it all the way. I really recommend this thing if you are going for the digital, minimalist lifestyle that many people want nowadays.  It used to be that a device like this required a server rack and probably an entire closet in the home of someone who was super rich. But this device is basically the size of an external drive and priced for basically anyone who wants to embrace this as part of their lifestyle. I definitely recommend it so far, but if I run into any weirdness in the coming weeks I'll touch back here.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:14:18 PM by IMJ » Logged

H.O.M.E.R.
Renaissance Armor

Im Rick James B+ch!

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 08:22:40 AM »

after all this time, how is it holding up?

i have already been burn in the past with a HDD that physically failed and i lost years of data and pics there...

so i was thinking of having (2) 2TB HDDs in RAID to make sure that never happened again...

i do like the idea of a NAS, but its a bit much at the moment...

***Don't you know who i am?    I'm the JUGGERNAUT b1+ch!***
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 03:45:51 PM »

after all this time, how is it holding up?

i have already been burn in the past with a HDD that physically failed and i lost years of data and pics there...

so i was thinking of having (2) 2TB HDDs in RAID to make sure that never happened again...

i do like the idea of a NAS, but its a bit much at the moment...

I haven't had any issues with it at all yet, and I use it basically ALL of the time.  There is a newer my cloud out with two drives built in that you can put into RAID if you wanted to... it's much more versatile than mine and actually comes with web development tools capability so that you can create small pages and private web boards with it - unreal!  Here is a very good private review of the MyCloud Mirror.

I am going to look into backing mine up pretty soon, but after all this time and even making regular weekly additions to the drive, I've got 3.2 TB left on it.  It's my favorite and best device.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:56:44 PM by IMJ » Logged

Roger A Ott II
Comic Book Historian
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

Writer/Researcher for Marvel's Official Handbooks

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »

I need to look into this more. I'm currently streaming music/tv/video thru my Xbox via Windows Media Center and my desktop PC, but if I upgrade from Windows 7 to Win10, I'll lose Media Center and have to do something else. I've heard Chromecast is a good alternative, but what you're describing here sounds like an even better, and more versatile, solution.
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 02:18:38 PM »

Earlier when I mentioned that I sort of hackjobbed my way into the streaming I wanted at my house before I got the MyCloud, part of that hackjob was using Windows Media Player and it was messy, buggy and not entirely user friendly.

The MyCloud will simply appear on your PS3, PS4 or Box as a Media Server icon which will expand for easy searching depending on how you've organized your files on the drive.  There's a unique WD software included that gives you a user interface, but honestly after the initial setup and creation of "users" through that program, I usually just open the drive via my computer as if it were another available drive through Windows. Hence, it's that easy to operate without using the provided software.

I do use the software for recompiling the drive, creating users and a few other things that the dashboard provides.  If you buy one, I would recommend getting the newer model that I mentioned above. That one has a JBOD mode that makes life easy if you didn't want to use the drive in RAID mode as well.  Your home intranet will run almost seamlessly if you have a nice router. Picking up files while out and about might take a few seconds to buffer, depending on how fast your home's upload speed is. The latter is my biggest issue with the cloud functionality, but really that has more to do with my relatively crummy home internet connection than it does the drive itself, I think.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:23:39 PM by IMJ » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: