Advanced Iron Home
October 19, 2017, 03:10:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newer Iron Man Armor Chronology  (Read 25876 times)
Stark Resilient
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2016, 05:09:22 PM »

Legacy, while entertaining, had a number of continuity issues.  If I remember right, one arc in the book had Tony running around in the armor after he had just gotten sober when it was made clear in the original books that he was scared to wear it.  It wasn't until Rhodey went crazy that Tony put himself back in the suit and that was a grey hunk of metal.  If you add the Legacy story in, then Tony's emotional crisis makes zero sense.   

I certainly agree with you on the complications that story adds to the continuity.  I think the best part about that series was seeing so many classic villains in their classic costumes during the first arc.

kokushishin
Classic Golden Avenger

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2016, 03:48:22 AM »

Got a backlog of stuff to go through, but everything looks spot on. R.T. is "Repulsor Tech."

Roger A Ott II
Comic Book Historian
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

Writer/Researcher for Marvel's Official Handbooks

« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2016, 08:26:09 AM »

Roger: To continue the conversation from Facebook about Iron Man Legacy, I was mistaken.  The Mark IV armor only appears on the covers and not in the actual book, so I think we would all agree that does not count. However, I did find some armors in the first 5 issues of the mini that are not included in the handbooks.  These are all from the first 5 issue arc of the series.

The first is a the Subterranean Armor that I had mentioned, the hands transform into drills, but the full page of that is huge, so I didn't want to post it.  It appears to borrow its appearance from an action figure from the first movie:

The next is another big powerhouse type armor.  As far as I can tell, this thing doesn't do anything special except be large, but it's there in the series..

The final one is the one that could really throw a monkey wrench into things.  There's a one panel flashback to Tony building the armor in the cave.. And well.. I'll let the picture do the talking:

So according to Iron Man Legacy, Tony build the Mark I while captured.  This is a change that I would actually be okay with.  I really like the hodgepodge of parts on the Mark I that truly makes it feel like it was assembled in desperation.  Then the idea would be that the Model II wouldn't have been simply a repainted version of the Model I, but a whole new armor entirely.  I don't hate this concept, as it makes sense then that Stark would make upgrades to the armor when he got home.

As I mentioned on Facebook, my research was from 2012 onward, since Iron Man had received an updated profile in the 2012 Avengers Roll Call Handbook. The 2012 update was only a page, however, so due to space limitations, we didn't include information about anything other than the current armor he was wearing. Debate on Iron Man Legacy being canon aside, that's bad on my part, and I humbly apologize. (I blame Fraction, however, because he actually drove me away from Iron Man for awhile, and had I stayed a vigilant reader, I would have remembered all those details. Yeah, that's my story).

That said, hypothetically speaking, let's assume Legacy is in continuity. So, where would the two specialty suits noted above fall chronologically in Iron Man's history? And that, unfortunately, illustrates why a hard numbering system for Iron Man armors is a pain in the ol' keister. At any time, a writer can retcon in a special suit that, like a time travel ripple effect, completely messes with anything that comes after it.

As for the first suit, I call artistic license on that. The MCU version of Iron Man's armor is massively cooler looking.
Stark Resilient
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2016, 07:23:46 PM »

That said, hypothetically speaking, let's assume Legacy is in continuity. So, where would the two specialty suits noted above fall chronologically in Iron Man's history? And that, unfortunately, illustrates why a hard numbering system for Iron Man armors is a pain in the ol' keister. At any time, a writer can retcon in a special suit that, like a time travel ripple effect, completely messes with anything that comes after it.

As for the first suit, I call artistic license on that. The MCU version of Iron Man's armor is massively cooler looking.

I would say that they would go after the Argonauts and WWHulkbuster and before Bleeding Edge.  I believe in the Legacy series portion where he is in the "current" suit, it was the Extremis.

I'm cool with the Mark I being artistic license, although I agree that the design team did a tremendous job creating that thing. 

ADour
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2016, 05:19:20 PM »

Yeah, as much as I'd rather the appearances of the suits remained consistent, I can't blame them if they take cues the movies for the MK I. That was a perfect modernization of Don Heck's original look.

But I don't think it's necessary to worry about the armor from Iron Man: Legacy, after all, with the series impossibility of being in-canon, it's like they were armor from an alternate universe.

By the way, Roger, what do you think of my War Machine armor chonology list (this one)?

Roger A Ott II
Comic Book Historian
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

Writer/Researcher for Marvel's Official Handbooks

« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 09:54:03 PM »

I have honestly not followed War Machine's adventures that closely (reasons below) as to have an educated opinion on your list, though it seems fairly accurate to what I do know.

I have never been a fan of Rhodey having a permanent armored identity. I loved when he was Iron Man for a few years back in the 80s, but Tony wasn't Iron Man then, and that was a huge difference.  I've always thought having other people in Tony's circle armored takes away from the uniqueness of Iron Man himself. Was not a fan of Rescue either.
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2016, 12:39:07 PM »

I've always thought having other people in Tony's circle armored takes away from the uniqueness of Iron Man himself. Was not a fan of Rescue either.

I've never liked this either.  It sort of diminishes the fact that there is a reason that the guy who designed and built the armor is the guy wearing it. A key part of the character that many writers neglect is that anyone can wear an Iron Man armor, but only one guy can see it through 100%. What's Rhodey going to do when the micro-tech in the armor breaks? Put it in the garage until only Tony can fix it.

The concept of Rescue was awful.  At least Kaminski nicely explained Tony's reasoning for designing War Machine and handing it off to Rhodey, but the concept has been poorly handled and mangled for years now unfortunately.

Stark Resilient
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2016, 11:30:52 AM »

I've always thought having other people in Tony's circle armored takes away from the uniqueness of Iron Man himself. Was not a fan of Rescue either.

I've never liked this either.  It sort of diminishes the fact that there is a reason that the guy who designed and built the armor is the guy wearing it. A key part of the character that many writers neglect is that anyone can wear an Iron Man armor, but only one guy can see it through 100%. What's Rhodey going to do when the micro-tech in the armor breaks? Put it in the garage until only Tony can fix it.

The concept of Rescue was awful.  At least Kaminski nicely explained Tony's reasoning for designing War Machine and handing it off to Rhodey, but the concept has been poorly handled and mangled for years now unfortunately.

I'm generally okay with War Machine.  For as long as I've loved Iron Man, War Machine has been an established part of Rhodey's Identity.  I agree that Rescue is just an absurd concept tho. 

What you're saying about diminishing the uniqueness of Iron Man is exactly why I didn't want them to add War Machine into the MCU so quickly.  I would have preferred if they had kept that in their pocket for a while longer.  I do think they did an amazing job bringing the War Machine armor to life tho.

ADour
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2016, 12:36:25 PM »

I have no problem with other people wearing similar suits to Iron Man, as long as they have certain uniqueness. I think the fact that I wasn't even born and War Machine was already an established concept influences my point of view.

I see War Machine as the military Iron Man, who tackles problems Iron Man doesn't usually get into, and has a more military-minded way to approach challenges. I also remember once in another forum somebody comparing Iron Man and War Machine to a laser cutter and a chainsaw, respectively. War Machine is all about shock and awe. I feel Iron Man's weaponry is much more flashy and futuristic, and War Machine's more classic.

Rescue is unecessary, but I think it was well-executed. The equipment the armor possesses matches Pepper, focusing on defensive capabilities over offensive ones. All of this makes Rescue an interesting concept, considering it's like Iron Man without the things that make Iron Man such thing. Still, I can't say I missed Rescue when Pepper dropped the identity for three years.

The differences between Iron Man, War Machine and Rescue are interesting enough so the two latter aren't simply "black and silver Iron Man" and "female Iron Man."

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: