Advanced Iron Home
September 25, 2017, 05:37:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone read John Steakley's Armor ?  (Read 3078 times)
Iron YoJimBo
Renaissance Armor

« on: November 03, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »

Re reading this sci-fi classic got me thinking, what would it take for this to  become a movie? Has anyone else on A.I. read this book? (or his other amazing work, Vampire$ )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armor_(novel)

Since discovering it back in '87 I've owned FIVE copies of the book (3 times due to never getting back a lent out copy, & once to age) & read it about twice a year if I get the time. Yes it's a huge favorite of mine,and a good story too boot. (& a good explanation as to how I always viewed Rhodey).

I don't care what color you are, where you come from, what god you worship, who you date, or what your DNA looks like under a scanner.

James Rupert Rhodes (War Machine/Iron Man)
Chaos
Extremis Armor

I Hate Magic

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »

Never heard of it. May have to get this, I need a new book anyways.

Ironghost
Global Moderator
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:23:02 PM »

I've read it, and it is indeed an awesome book.  I couldn't finish Starship Troopers, but I recall this book flew by.  It's a darn good read.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.  -- Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
Iron Guy
Modular Armor

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:07:40 AM »

Really? You couldn't finish Starship Troopers? It's not even very thick. I'll admit some of it's cultural notions were, shall we say, quaint. But it had pretty good action narrative to it. I do have to say that while I would love to see Felix's war story brought to the screen, I'm afraid Starship Troopers killed any prospect of that. 
Ironghost
Global Moderator
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 09:23:16 AM »

Really? You couldn't finish Starship Troopers? It's not even very thick. I'll admit some of it's cultural notions were, shall we say, quaint. But it had pretty good action narrative to it. I do have to say that while I would love to see Felix's war story brought to the screen, I'm afraid Starship Troopers killed any prospect of that. 

It was also 20+ years ago, and I was entering a full-strength "Heinlein SUCKS!" phase.  I'd read most everything he'd written, and concluded his juvenile books were the best, with short stories second.  I could probably get through it today, I think. Smiley

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.  -- Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
Iron YoJimBo
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 04:08:13 PM »

Four tries. It took me four tries to get through Starship Troopers. I just didn't like the writing style as much.
Felix had me hooked from page 3. & I won't even go into how cool I thought Jack Crow was.
& then there's the armor itself. Hooked on Iron Man & anime from a young age the whole armor concept was as natural to me as morning sunshine on banshee.

Starship troopers the movie was . . . entertaining but pretty far from the book. Armor might just be different enough, unless they're planning a more accurate ST remake.
One thing I liked about Felix's story is that you really don't know any much more about the war or what's going on than he does.

I don't care what color you are, where you come from, what god you worship, who you date, or what your DNA looks like under a scanner.

James Rupert Rhodes (War Machine/Iron Man)
Iron Guy
Modular Armor

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 05:31:59 PM »

Yeah that Jack Crow gets around. In an earlier life he was the head of a vampire hunting team for the Vatican. His jail break in Armor was a pretty cool read. If they did a movie & stayed true to the ending it would even be open to sequels as we don't really know what ultimately became of Felix. A character I would like to see well played is Forrest. She was someone Felix thought was even better than him at armored combat & ultimately emerged as a bit of a tragic figure not only for how she ended up, but also for her belief in a hero with feet of clay.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 05:37:47 PM by Iron Guy » Logged
The IronJedi
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Columnist: Ferro Files

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 08:39:03 PM »

Yup... Many moons ago.

“I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." - Albert Camus
Karyyk
Silver Centurion

Insomnia...

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 02:24:35 AM »

I'm a sucker for military sci-fi. Added to my wishlist at Amazon (really my to-buy-later list).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: