Advanced Iron Home
September 22, 2014, 07:11:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marvel's digital plan  (Read 1671 times)
Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

AI Moderator, Metal Head Column Writer

« on: March 13, 2012, 09:59:07 AM »

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/03/12/marvel-takes-digital-comics-to-the-next-level-with-reevolution/

It is a bit convoluted, as Geeks of Doom point out.

heath

Metal Head Movie News Writer
www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
Roger A Ott II
Comic Book Historian
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

Writer/Researcher for Marvel's Official Handbooks

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:20 PM »

Have to wait to see what the entire package is, but it does pique the curiosity.
SirReef
Modular Armor

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:22:45 PM »

Obviously I love that Marvel has embraced the digital age, but they do need to centralize their efforts more.  I feel like I'm a little lost in what they are doing, what books are available same day as print, etc, etc. 

Plus, their app has some serious omissions from my short usage of it.  For instance - finding comics by character would be one of my number one search options.  Not there.  Organizing all the "banner books" by character isn't there (ie. spectacular spider-man, amazing spider-man, avenging spider-man --- all under Spider-Man, then broken down by series, then by volume).  It's kind of messy.

Maybe it'll eventually lead them to straightening out their naming conventions?

If I owned an iPad, I'd be all over it.  But I don't.  So I am a little lost as to what my options are for my desktop/laptop. 

They really need to be more open with this.  They need more interaction with the community to determine the best features. 

Just my .02. 

I am interested though.

Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:29:09 PM »

I am still not sure if Marvel is supporting iOS yet with the unlimited (Flash-based) subscription service.

www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
SirReef
Modular Armor

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »

I am still not sure if Marvel is supporting iOS yet with the unlimited (Flash-based) subscription service.

Heck I don't even know what offering that is.

Marvel needs ONE offering. 

In fact, they'd be wise to open another company or buy comixology.  Work out deals with all the manufacturers and create an iTunes like platform to deliver content.  Why they have to be so damn convoluted is beyond me.

SirReef
Modular Armor

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »

So, I decided to jump on the Comixology bandwagon.  Basically, this is the Diamond of digital distribution.  They provide, and created, the apps for both Marvel & DC. 

So far, so good.  I have really caught up on my reading.  No clutter either. 

As many know from our discussions on this topic, I used to pirate all my comics. Not because I was cheap, but because I didn't want to buy paper products.  I had no interest in it.  I felt a bit guilty about it, but swore that I'd purchase my stuff if they were ever offered online. 

I'm now living up to that promise.  I think I've spend a few hundred in a couple days pulling the last few years of continuity.  Granted, Marvel really needs to work on their naming scheme. Makes finding some stuff a chore. 

But, I feel good.  Supporting the artists and writers.  Ahhhhh... the world of digital.

Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 04:46:55 PM »

I do love digital. The big conversion for me came on my sixth move in 3.5 years last year (long story), and I was sick of carrying boxes of books and comics. So I started buying digital.

heath

www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
Chaos
Extremis Armor

I Hate Magic

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 04:48:37 PM »

I'm sticking with paper; as much as a pain it is to find space for everything, I look at a computer enough during the day and like just sitting somewhere with a book/comic in hand. Although it seems the younger generation doesn't seem to know much of the "curl up with a good book" analogy.

SirReef
Modular Armor

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 08:43:30 AM »

I'm sticking with paper; as much as a pain it is to find space for everything, I look at a computer enough during the day and like just sitting somewhere with a book/comic in hand. Although it seems the younger generation doesn't seem to know much of the "curl up with a good book" analogy.

There is no doubt that there is a nostalgia associated with doing just that, but it is outweighed by the space saving and convenience of finding an issue I'm looking for easily.

Plus, I just can't bring myself to toss a comic I've read, regardless of the content.  So, I get stuck with a book that becomes clutter. 

I think digital is the future and either comic book stores will be replaced or benefit from the larger audience that digital can reach.

With that said, I still think Comixology needs to merge with a relevant technology - i.e. iTunes, kindle, etc.  It needs to be incorporated into daily programs so that it is accessible off the bat.  Right now, only comic book people know about digital comics.

Roger A Ott II
Comic Book Historian
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

Writer/Researcher for Marvel's Official Handbooks

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:01:12 AM »

With that said, I still think Comixology needs to merge with a relevant technology - i.e. iTunes, kindle, etc.  It needs to be incorporated into daily programs so that it is accessible off the bat.  Right now, only comic book people know about digital comics.

The wife and I got matching Kindle Fire's the other day (yay, tax refund!) and the Comixology app was already on the main page, ready to be installed.  So, they're at least making it visible and trying to get the word out there. And, when I go to the Kindle's Bookstore feature, Comic Books is one of the sidebar "Browse" links and it takes me to a list of mostly DC collected editions (Watchmen, DKR, etc).

So, it's happening.
SirReef
Modular Armor

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 10:41:22 AM »

Okay, an update:

Marvel AR.

Holy hades, what a cluster-*!@%. 

First, the good - it's an amazing piece of technology.  It really is quite cool.  Some of the things it does is really pretty awesome.  Definitely a bonus.  It's definitely a cool feature for technophiles and a way to bring more paper readers to using their digital platforms. 

Next, the bad - while it can be used on any digital comic (pirated or purchased), the purchased comics do not have the "AR" symbol to let you know when to use the Marvel AR application.  So, basically, the people who have fully invested in digital are not intended to get the cool features.

Finally, the WTF - why would Marvel not integrate the AR application into their digital offerings?  That way you get the whole bundle in each digital comic?  Have little icons in the panel that you click to set off the AR portion of the comic.  Big swing and a miss by Marvel.

With all that said, I can't see Marvel AR being something that sticks around for long unless they build a repository of information and tie it to the Marvel Wikipedia.  I mean, some of this stuff would take some serious time to create.  So, it made sense with AvX, but on a monthly ongoing basis?  I'm not so sure. 

Overall I'd rate the concept a 9 out of 10, but the execution a 2 out of 10.

Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »

The latest, Marvel launches its "Marvel Digital Comics Store:"

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/04/27/marvel-comics-launches-marvel-digital-comics-store/

heath

www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
SirReef
Modular Armor

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 12:29:03 AM »

http://www.geeksofdoom.com/2012/04/27/marvel-comics-launches-marvel-digital-comics-store/

heath

I don't understand why they won't just sync with Comixology.  It's the actual company that built the app and holds the digital comic. 

Iron YoJimBo
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 06:53:31 AM »

heath

I don't understand why they won't just sync with Comixology.  It's the actual company that built the app and holds the digital comic. 
because Disney won't play second fiddle to anybody. We all know that. Why use common sense when you can throw money at it?   Roll Eyes

I don't care what color you are, where you come from, what god you worship, who you date, or what your DNA looks like under a scanner.

James Rupert Rhodes (War Machine/Iron Man)
Brian
Silver Centurion

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 03:42:18 PM »

I have a question. It says that when I buy the comic, I can access the online comic for free. However, by the time I buy my comics (that weekend), the offer expires. It's as though the offer expires before anyone can buy the comic. Does that make sense?

"I bet when Stan Lee invented Iron Man, he said "Hey, Jack! What if Bruce Wayne weren't such a whiney bitch?"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: