Advanced Iron Home
September 25, 2017, 05:37:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Overall Blu-ray Sales Fall Short: DVD and Rentals to Blame  (Read 2120 times)
Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

AI Moderator, Metal Head Column Writer

« on: June 08, 2011, 10:13:45 AM »

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/report-blu-ray-sales-falling-short-of-expectations-even-as-prices-decline/

People still use DVDs, but rentals are a bigger threat to BD and DVD sales, either from Redbox, Blockbuster's Redbox-like kiosks, Netflix, Netflix streaming, iTunes, Amazon, YouTube, Vudu, etc.

heath

Metal Head Movie News Writer
www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »

Ever since getting Netflix I've bought significantly fewer DVD's and Blu Rays. I used to more or less buy DVD's if I had even a remote interest in a movie, but now I just "Netflix" it unless it's a staple release for my interests.

Pandorum is a great example. Never saw it in theaters but wanted to check it out at some point. Normally I'd just buy the DVD, but it was on Netflix, so I checked it out there. Done.

Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 10:33:46 AM »

I have to pretty much echo that sentiment, IMJ. I amassed a decent DVD collection since late 1998, and now, I use VUDU and Netflix for my movies and TV show re-runs (like The First 48, etc.). I'll still buy Blu-ray Discs like Iron Man, Thor, Batman, Criterion, etc., but that's it.

heath

www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
Roger A Ott II
Comic Book Historian
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

Writer/Researcher for Marvel's Official Handbooks

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 10:38:08 AM »

Yeah, exactly what you guys said, almost word for word.  I have over 500 DVDs in my collection since 1999, with little room to store the things, so I buy very few new discs these days.  Netflix is our new thing, and we love it.  Media is really turning toward the intangible/portable.

Blu-Ray is nice, but honestly, the quality of DVD is good enough for my eye, so I buy very few things on Blu-Ray.  DVD is still about a million times sharper than my old VHS stuff.
SirReef
Modular Armor

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 10:43:07 AM »

Digital is the way of the future. 

I'm not sure that the industry will ever see the perfect symphony of factors that resulted in the DVD sales boom.  It was the first time we could own a small package with the movie on it with virtually unlimited number of playbacks.  All for so relatively cheap. 

There was nothing to compete with it except brick-n-mortar rental shops - but the cost wasn't that much cheaper plus I had to go to the store.

Now, with all the alternatives and the way the Bluray standards evolve nullifying technology that legitimate consumers purchased.  Add to it 3D standards that aren't standard, the format war that happened, the DVD double dips that pissed people off, the HDMI handshakes that don't always work ... It's simply bad business. 

Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 10:55:12 AM »

Here was my VUDU device review from Feb. 2008 from CES:

http://sony.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=301756

I think I stayed out of predicting anything there, but I know on video message boards, I was laughed at for saying digital downloads, movies-over-IP would be coming sooner than we thought.

heath

www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
SirReef
Modular Armor

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:59:25 AM »

I think I stayed out of predicting anything there, but I know on video message boards, I was laughed at for saying digital downloads, movies-over-IP would be coming sooner than we thought.

Oh yeah, it's truly like mentioning digital comics to the traditionalists.  They can't fathom wanting to do things that way ... but it's the future.

For me - the new Apple cloud .... I wouldn't want my music like that.  It seems nebulous.  I know it isn't, but I'm resistant to it. 

Movies over IP is the way of the future.  Pirates have been ahead of this curve for a while.  The MPAA is scared of it as the whole concept flies in the face of their old ways of doing things, but they either adapt or lose out.

Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 11:05:56 AM »

Amazon Cloud is more about streaming and downloading, while the Apple iCloud is more about downloading and syncing.

heath

www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 04:44:33 PM »

Amazon Cloud is more about streaming and downloading, while the Apple iCloud is more about downloading and syncing.

heath

I'm pretty curious about how cloud computing is going to evolve as a whole...
I'm still waiting on new homes to be built with servers built into the homes themselves. I'd love that.

Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »

Well, if the PC or Mac was the digital hub (computer), the cloud will be the new digital hub. I know some well-to-do families that have special servers built into their homes, and basically, stuff like the Apple TV, XBOX 360, etc., are sort of offshoots of it. I'd like to see greater integration, like IMJ is suggesting.

heath

www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
Typhon
Hulk Buster Armor

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 05:23:47 PM »

Personally, I buy a ton of blu-ray movies.  Like my comics and my books, I prefer to have the actually product in my hand than a digital copy.  I know it sounds behind the times, but I just like having the disc and the case and all that comes with the.  I like popping the case open and putting the disc in the player.  At the moment, I have the last season of Doctor Who on my PC, but I am still checking Amazon and the like for the moment the blu-ray set falls in price, so I can pick it up. 

I have given many dvds away lately to family and friends, and after 6 rentals in a row that Blockbuster accused me of stealing, I have yet to come close to even walking in a rental store or even consider rentals at all.   
Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »

Blockbuster is shady; before I bought the Blu-ray, I rented The Dark Knight, having only seen it once in theaters. I returned it 2 days later and that was it. 4 weeks later, I went in to buy the BD, and they asked for my membership card and they said I never returned the DVD I rented, and wouldn't let me buy it.

I went in the next day when the manager was on duty, and they said they had no record I returned it, which is such a joke, and I was able to buy the BD since they noticed my record never had issues with returning discs (or VHS tapes, from way back in the early 90s, which is how long I was a member). Most Blockbusters around here have been shut down.

If there's a MovieStop near you, you should trade in your DVDs for credit!

heath

www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
IronManKyle
Modular Armor

Long time hardcore IM fan!! Tony's my hero!

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 03:03:08 AM »

You have to admit, only shelling out $10 a month for Netflix, even if you still only watch 2-3 movies a month on it, is too good of a deal to pass up, not having to buy and store all the dvds you'd get is a selling point, and i like it!  Cheesy  --- My only issues with Netflix is a lot of tv shows or concerts i would love to watch are still dvd-only -which is fine, they deliver really damn fast and I never had a problem with any disks- but still be better if most things on there were set for 'instant streaming'
..I do hear Hulu is good with alot of tv shows, instant tho......
Roger A Ott II
Comic Book Historian
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

Writer/Researcher for Marvel's Official Handbooks

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »

..I do hear Hulu is good with alot of tv shows, instant tho......

I tried a trial version of Hulu plus on Xbox 360, and it wasn't all I thought it would be.  Sure, they had a lot of tv shows, probably more than Netflix even, but there was one huge drawback.  Whereas Netflix will adjust the picture quality if your internet connection changes, Hulu does not.  If my connection slowed for any reason (which it does often), Hulu would kick it back out and we'd have to start over.  Netflix pauses, adjusts the image quality, and resumes.  In that regard alone, I choose Netflix over Hulu.
Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 10:48:51 AM »

That's a big deal, Rog. Who do you have for internet?

heath

www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: