Advanced Iron Home
September 25, 2017, 05:36:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IIM 7  (Read 5595 times)
Iron Techie
Classic Golden Avenger

« on: November 06, 2008, 07:40:22 AM »

Has anyone read this yet? I guess I have only one question.

I didn't read Civil War, but doesn't Tony know who Spider-Man is?? Doesn't he know it's Peter? I mean, this issue made it seem like he didn't know. I thought Spidey revealed himself during Civil War.

Or does this have something to do with Peter's deal with Mephisto?

When the hitman comes, he knows damn well he has been cheated.
The IronJedi
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Columnist: Ferro Files

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 08:07:30 AM »

Or does this have something to do with Peter's deal with Mephisto?

It has everything to do with his deal w/ Mephisto and the OMD storyline.

“I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." - Albert Camus
Chaos
Extremis Armor

I Hate Magic

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 08:23:40 AM »

Yeah, they went an retconned his unmasking (along with a bunch of other things) with the OMD storyline.

The IronJedi
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Columnist: Ferro Files

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 10:53:22 AM »

Yeah, they went an retconned his unmasking (along with a bunch of other things) with the OMD storyline.

Actually, I don't think retcon is correct chaos. I've continued to follow Amazing and in the letter pages, as well as in a recent issue, hints have been dropped that Pete had help, beyond Mephisto, erasing traces of his identity from electronic/mechanical/etc. sources. It remains to be seen how, why and who did the deed.

As far as the issue went, I thought it was a pretty good stand-alone. The last page really summed up what Fraction was trying to convey in regards to the weight Tony is bearing on his shoulders.

“I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." - Albert Camus
Ironghost
Global Moderator
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »

I thought he finally had it right, at the end there.  This is a lot to put up with for anyone.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.  -- Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
mateus
Neo-Classic Armor

Electrical Engineers do IT better

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 09:22:26 PM »

i really loved this issue and think that IGN got it spot on as well giving it a 9.0/10.
i cant wait to see what fraction cooks up in december post secret invasion. w00t!
also, am i the only spidey fan who actually enjoyed spidey better in this lone book then in the past few amazing has released?

Firebrand
Stealth Armor

Yipee! I won the war of the super villains!

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 07:45:08 AM »

An improvment over the last 2 issues. I really felt that Tony had the weight of the world on his shoulders. I'm glad he didn't try to arrest Spidey (This registration nonsense has got to end. I can't wait for the day Joe Q and Breevort are gone and that idiocy is erased). I like how Peter has his reasons, good reasons for not registering and what a burden it has all become for Stark.

Spidey was fun and added a much needed sliver of light to balance out what became a very sad tale. The art though leaves me cold and detracts from my total enjoyment. I'm sick of the waxy looking people with their stiff mannequin bodies, and that out of focus garbage.
SteveJRogers
Golden Armor

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:00:31 PM »

Actually, I don't think retcon is correct chaos. I've continued to follow Amazing and in the letter pages, as well as in a recent issue, hints have been dropped that Pete had help, beyond Mephisto, erasing traces of his identity from electronic/mechanical/etc. sources. It remains to be seen how, why and who did the deed.

As far as the issue went, I thought it was a pretty good stand-alone. The last page really summed up what Fraction was trying to convey in regards to the weight Tony is bearing on his shoulders.

Well here is what we know so far:

During OMD, Mary-Jane tells Mephisto flat out that part of the deal is to give Peter back his secret ID.  This is made so which means NO ONE knows Peter is Spidey.  This includes Norman Osborn who has known since ASM 39 way back when.

When BND starts, Peter is unaware that a deal ever took place, in essence everything happened except for him getting married, that is all he knows.  That includes his involvement with Civil War and the unmasking.  Everyone knows Spidey unmasked, but they don't remember who the face was.

At the start of the recent "New Ways To Die" arc we see Norman confront Peter Parker, for a second Peter is all worried but then realizes "what we did is still holding."  He doesn't say who "we" is, and according to Marvel he is still unaware that a deal was made with Mephisto.  Later Parker as Spidey taunts Norman about the fact that while Norman doesn't know who he is, Spidey has full knowledge of Norman being The Green Goblin.

My .02, it is basically track covering BS and they are making stuff up as they go along.  They've already established that Peter doesn't remember "The Deal" so if they say "Yeah, "we" refers to OMD" to them it is an admission that they screwed up and are trying to work at "undoing it" or some nonsense.  In any event, that explains how Peter Parker worked for Tony Stark, Spider-Man was an Avenger alongside Iron Man, yet now Stark has no clue who Spider-Man is under the mask.
Agent 333
Modular Armor

Scientist Supreme of Stark Idea Mechanics

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 03:56:58 AM »

I think the "what we did" to secure Spidey's ID, in other words, what Spidey remebers happening instead of the OMD storyline, is a deal with the Sentry. I mean, the Sentry has erased knowledge from everyone in the world a couple of times, it couldn't be harder for him to erase Spidey's Secret ID than it is to erase his entire existence, can it? This theory has some holes in it, and apparently a storyline set for early next year explains what Spidey thinks happened, so we'll see.
mateus
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 04:29:27 PM »

I think the "what we did" to secure Spidey's ID, in other words, what Spidey remebers happening instead of the OMD storyline, is a deal with the Sentry. I mean, the Sentry has erased knowledge from everyone in the world a couple of times, it couldn't be harder for him to erase Spidey's Secret ID than it is to erase his entire existence, can it? This theory has some holes in it, and apparently a storyline set for early next year explains what Spidey thinks happened, so we'll see.
bingo, the storyline is set and supposedly is what explains everything in the current continuity prior to the deal in the other continuity and afterwards(aka Brand New Day). we readers just have to wait and read...but personally iron man is winning me over much faster than ASM since OMD/BND. i have nothing against it all i could care less for MJ and co. to me Back In Black brought me back to comic books and was an awesome storyline which should have continued with the possible death of wilson fisk instead of what marvel has given us since...new ways to die was great and so far the most recent issues have been worth the read but its to be seen if i keep buying...i much prefer invincible and the occasional joker books i pick up now a days.

nicktem
War Machine

he lives, he walks, he conquers!

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 08:41:42 PM »

bingo, the storyline is set and supposedly is what explains everything in the current continuity prior to the deal in the other continuity and afterwards(aka Brand New Day). we readers just have to wait and read...but personally iron man is winning me over much faster than ASM since OMD/BND. i have nothing against it all i could care less for MJ and co. to me Back In Black brought me back to comic books and was an awesome storyline which should have continued with the possible death of wilson fisk instead of what marvel has given us since...new ways to die was great and so far the most recent issues have been worth the read but its to be seen if i keep buying...i much prefer invincible and the occasional joker books i pick up now a days.

Haha, yeah totally right. Back in black brought Spidey back to being cool again and then they just washed it all down the drain with OMD/BND (much the same as the Knaufs run, which was genius). Now, we get this sh!t that makes no sense and the Sentry? How the f#$% did he come into it? He cant even control his own power properly, im gonna wanna see what they have to say when it all comes out. I like the Sentry but having him erase everyone's memories of Spidey is just pushing it over the edge, i mean Mephisto was bad enough.

Yeah, everyone wants to read fun, classic Spidey stories, which they are struggling at doing now but i think its safe to say they have royally fckt up Spider-Man. And i love him i do, i want to read Spidey but his book is so crap right now. You get that itch where you like oo i just want to see what he's upto but then you picked it up and it goes back to being sh!t. bah! I'll admit New Ways to Die was pretty cool and brought it up a couple notches but its still a fair way away from what it use to be.

I had the thought that the way its going that Spidey will get so convoulted in his own book that readers will just get sick of it and Iron Man will take his place as the no.1 in the public's eye. Then we'll get a reboot of Spider-Man....now that would be amazing.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 08:47:19 PM by nicktem » Logged

Agent 333
Modular Armor

Scientist Supreme of Stark Idea Mechanics

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 09:54:43 PM »

Well, to be fair to Spidey, the whole Sentry thing is just my guess as to what the explanation is going to be. It could just as easily be Dr. Strange, or Loki, or hell, even Mephisto, just Spidey remembers the deal different than it actually happened. We'll have to wait and see what the official explanation is.
mateus
Neo-Classic Armor

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2008, 09:38:39 AM »

Haha, yeah totally right. Back in black brought Spidey back to being cool again and then they just washed it all down the drain with OMD/BND (much the same as the Knaufs run, which was genius). Now, we get this sh!t that makes no sense and the Sentry? How the f#$% did he come into it? He cant even control his own power properly, im gonna wanna see what they have to say when it all comes out. I like the Sentry but having him erase everyone's memories of Spidey is just pushing it over the edge, i mean Mephisto was bad enough.

Yeah, everyone wants to read fun, classic Spidey stories, which they are struggling at doing now but i think its safe to say they have royally fckt up Spider-Man. And i love him i do, i want to read Spidey but his book is so crap right now. You get that itch where you like oo i just want to see what he's upto but then you picked it up and it goes back to being sh!t. bah! I'll admit New Ways to Die was pretty cool and brought it up a couple notches but its still a fair way away from what it use to be.

I had the thought that the way its going that Spidey will get so convoulted in his own book that readers will just get sick of it and Iron Man will take his place as the no.1 in the public's eye. Then we'll get a reboot of Spider-Man....now that would be amazing.
most likely will happen.
lets face it Inivincible right now is a much better book than amazing. by a long shot.
amazing has its flashes in the pan but i dont get the same excitement or enjoyment as reading tony stark...then again, i could be in a transition too where im tired of reading about the loveable nerdy loser(yours truly in high school...aside for the loveable part) and want to start reading about smart, weighed down by responsibility engineer(yours truly hopefully in 2 or 3 years time...aside for the weighed down by responsibility part).

Iron Techie
Classic Golden Avenger

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2008, 10:40:07 AM »

I dunno. With President-Elect Obama being a big Spider-Man fan, we might see Marvel put more emphasis on him now.

Reboot Spidey?? I don't know if I like the idea. Sure, the book's a little messed up right now, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with some better writing.

When the hitman comes, he knows damn well he has been cheated.
Chaos
Extremis Armor

I Hate Magic

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »

I dunno. With President-Elect Obama being a big Spider-Man fan, we might see Marvel put more emphasis on him now.

Reboot Spidey?? I don't know if I like the idea. Sure, the book's a little messed up right now, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with some better writing.

I'd like to see it rebooted just to undo everything Joe Q did with OMD and BND and piss him off.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: