Advanced Iron Home
October 15, 2018, 06:47:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whatcha’ been reading?  (Read 29855 times)
Typhon
Hulk Buster Armor

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 08:41:06 AM »

Titles I've dropped:

Angel: Whedon no longer has any involvement with the series and 3.99 is just too much to pay for a book with ugly art and plot that makes little sense.  The Buffy book is still awesome though.

Avengers Initiative: No Rhodey, no care.

War Machine: For the same reason everybody else has.  The book makes no damn sense. 

Titles I've added:

Batman and Robin: All-Star Superman was one of the best books I ever read and so far this team has yet to disappoint.  Like IMJ, I haven;t read Batman since HUSH, but so far it seems a knowledge of Batman lore is not needed to enjoy this series.   
Mr_Fabulous
Neo-Classic Armor

"I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man."

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2009, 02:26:15 AM »

Like IMJ, I haven;t read Batman since HUSH, but so far it seems a knowledge of Batman lore is not needed to enjoy this series.  

I would add that picking up Batman and Son, The Black Glove, Batman RIP and Final Crisis could really add alot to your enjoyment of the series.
Feral Female
Golden Armor

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 06:44:43 AM »

Hmmm, let me think. What I get monthly is IIM, of course. I was reading War Machine but dropped it due to my dislike of this cyborg Rhodes, just not my cuppa at all! Of course I get all things Deadpool which is now 3 monthly issues! Wade is very popular and man, its about time others discovered what a hoot Wilson is. Sadly I`m down to one Wolverine series just due to poor storylines and not giving a tinkers dang about Daken! Oh, and X-Force is a monthly buy too. Last week I got the 1st Ultimate Avengers which I`ll keep getting as long as it runs true and then I`m looking forward to Ulitmate Armor Wars when it hits in September.
Ironghost
Global Moderator
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 09:33:05 AM »

Outside of IM, which I keep regretting each month?

I'm following the Cap Reborn stuff, to see how that turns out.  I'm hoping JSA and JLA don't get to mucked up, and I noticed they re-re-rebooted the Doom Patrol.  Doom Patrol is a sentimental favorite: it was the first comic book someone gave me to read when I was six.  It was one of the original series.  So, I kinda like to see how they're going to handle them this time, then drop it when it gets too angsty and depressing.  I've got plenty of that naturally, I don't need to read a comic book about it.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.  -- Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
mateus
Neo-Classic Armor

Electrical Engineers do IT better

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 04:36:21 PM »

i have to throw in a good Dark Reign title i just finished this week: Mr. Negative.
for anyone who is unfamiliar with the newly created Spidey villain, don't worry about it because this three parter does enough to fill you in on who he is and what he wants. i really enjoyed the art and found that, aside for SPidey's one liners, the writing was great! well worth the money.
my only problem is that the book focussed alot on Negative and not on his ulterior counterpart: Martin Li. but we get lots of Li in the ASM books so i'm not all that down about it.

IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »

I finally dropped all of the Avengers books other than New Avengers. I was going to drop that too, but somehow they've kept me reading with this Sorcerer Supreme thing.

I've actually added books from other publishers including the new Legend of Isis book, and several others. Many are mini series though, which will be over soon enough (i.e. much of the Blackest Night stuff).

Iron Kaiser
Extremis Armor

This Afro will come back!

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 07:20:54 AM »

Currently, I'm reading pretty much nothing.  I've dropped all of the titles out there quite some time ago.
Iron Techie
Classic Golden Avenger

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 01:23:19 PM »

My list has gone through some changes. Here's the latest:

• Iron Man
  • Deadpool
  • Green Lantern
  • Blackest Night
  • Cap Reborn
  • Flash Reborn
  • Batman: Widening Gyre (when it comes out. I'm just a sucker for Kevin Smith, I guess)

I was reading Daredevil, Captain America and Green Arrow as well for a while, but decided to drop them because they just weren't all that exciting, storywise.

I picked up Flash Reborn just because I really don't know much about the hero and wanted to learn more. Plus, I really like the team of Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver. I wish Ivan Reis was still on that book, but he's doing Blackest Night, so I still get to see his pencils, which are fantastic!

I noticed in the last issue of Deadpool that they got someone new for pencils and I really don't like it as much as I enjoyed Paco Medina's work. But the writing is still very good, very funny. I think it captures the character of Wade Wilson quite well.

How many books is Geoff Johns writing a month, now? Does the guy ever sleep?? Sheesh! But I do enjoy his work. I think Blackest Night is starting a little slow, but I haven't read all the Green Lantern issues leading up to it, so there's probably a thing or two I've missed. Plus, I'm not as well versed in the DC world, so trying to figure out some of those heroes and their backgrounds is causing the slow going.

I was also reading Hulk for a time, but man, I got sick of it in a hurry. Just tell us who the Red Hulk is already! Thor also was on my list but got stale. Nothing was happening. It was all talk. I need action in my comics.

Please, Marvel, get back to the action!

When the hitman comes, he knows damn well he has been cheated.
Chaos
Extremis Armor

I Hate Magic

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 08:44:35 AM »

I finally dropped all of the Avengers books other than New Avengers. I was going to drop that too, but somehow they've kept me reading with this Sorcerer Supreme thing.

I still have New Avengers and Dark Avengers. I'm debating dropping New, but it seems like Clint Barton is the only person in the MU actually interested in doing something about Osborn. I immedaitely dropped Mighty Avengers when I saw the new roster after SI; I'm not sure if there's ever been a more uninteresting Avengers roster than that.

I was also reading Hulk for a time, but man, I got sick of it in a hurry. Just tell us who the Red Hulk is already!

Yeah, I gave up on the series. While I'm an action fan they were really stretching with some stuff. Since the Green Hulk beat the Red Hulk the first timethe series has had no focus at all. When it was about who the Red Hulk was it kept you in because you were intrigued, now theyre not even trying to give clues or anything. Its a total trainwreck now. Only saving grace is the art and colors.

Iron Kaiser
Extremis Armor

This Afro will come back!

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 12:58:14 PM »

I was so sad to see that the Mighty Avengers had such promise, only to be treated like crap after SI.  Even during SI, all they did was show back-stories about certain characters that might be Skrulls.

The Mighty Avengers really did contain the earth's mightiest heroes with Iron Man, Wonder Man, Sentry, and Ms. Marvel.  Now they just messed up the roster and now they suck.
Chaos
Extremis Armor

I Hate Magic

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 02:38:17 PM »

I was so sad to see that the Mighty Avengers had such promise, only to be treated like crap after SI.  Even during SI, all they did was show back-stories about certain characters that might be Skrulls.

The Mighty Avengers really did contain the earth's mightiest heroes with Iron Man, Wonder Man, Sentry, and Ms. Marvel.  Now they just messed up the roster and now they suck.

Agreed. I really enjoyed Mighty Avengers before SI and sans Wasp I really liked the roster. SI completely destroyed that title and the new roster is basically every character who isnt good enough to hold their own title.

electricalninjaneer
Neo-Classic Armor

Electrical Engineering at its finest

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »

Agreed. I really enjoyed Mighty Avengers before SI and sans Wasp I really liked the roster. SI completely destroyed that title and the new roster is basically every character who isnt good enough to hold their own title.

Yeah they really need the original team back, at least they did live up to that title.

IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 06:40:43 PM »

SI completely destroyed that title and the new roster is basically every character who isnt good enough to hold their own title.

You've just described most of Bendis' books.

Typhon
Hulk Buster Armor

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2009, 02:37:49 AM »

SI completely destroyed that title and the new roster is basically every character who isnt good enough to hold their own title.

You've just described most of Bendis' books.

Honestly, look back at the history and you'll see it isn't just Bendis.  "Essential Avengers" books 2-4 are pretty much sans Thor, Cap, and Tony as members.  In their place is a roster full of B-list characters. 
Chaos
Extremis Armor

I Hate Magic

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2009, 09:33:40 AM »

Honestly, look back at the history and you'll see it isn't just Bendis.  "Essential Avengers" books 2-4 are pretty much sans Thor, Cap, and Tony as members.  In their place is a roster full of B-list characters. 

You know I was thinking about this exact thing the other day and when I looked back to the Avengers teams I remembered(basically the 90's), I noticed that the roster was never that great. Even West Coast didnt have that great of a roster.

Granted my knowledge of the past rosters isnt very good, but until Mighty came out I remember looking back and not seeing anything about the teams that made me want to buy the book.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: