Advanced Iron Home
October 15, 2018, 06:06:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whatcha’ been reading?  (Read 29849 times)
Firebrand
Stealth Armor

Yipee! I won the war of the super villains!

« on: September 14, 2008, 04:34:32 PM »

I thought this might give me some ideas on what to check out too, seeing as how I’m returning to the fold after a 3-year hiatus.

This week I grabbed the 1st issue of The Invincible Iron Man and liked it enough to go grab the rest. Good series, I like the banter between Stark and Pepper (She and Bethany Cabe are my favorite female IM characters). The coloring was decent on the first issue, since then it’s really become muddy and I find it distracting. I think Ezekiel’s story could have been told in 3 or 4 issues, or it might have played better as a building back story with a 2 part big finish…. But that’s the nature of the beast these days. Gotta serve the Trades whether it serves the story or not.

I also bought the first tpb for Ms Marvel and was entertained for the most part. I enjoyed the light humor and it was loaded with action. I always loved her costume and liked the character, even in IM when she was drinking (poor gals been put through the ringer though – That story years ago with her son was particularly ugly). I’m not into the big events Marvel keeps trying to force down our throats and I wont read ‘em. That can lead to some confusion, but they did a good job of filling in the blanks on that “House of M” deal without getting me bogged down with it.

Question? The next trade for her is Civil War. Does this one stand alone okay, or is it so immersed in the "event" that I'll be lost without reading the other civil war titles?

Next I tried a few issues of Marvel Adventures: Avengers. Now this was a blast as it was just good old-fashioned fun with colorful heroes fighting colorful villains. No angst, no post 9/11 inspired tales, no heavy handed socio/political messages --- just rainy day escapism, and Lord have I missed that! The book is hilarious; Hulk is a riot (“Ha! Stupid robots crushed like…. Stupid robots!” – To the Ultron army in issue #1) and my favorite is Giant Girl… that’s right, ‘girl’ and it’s okay to say that, there’s no PC complaining about the name with this book. I like giants, they just look so cool visually and Janet is everything Janet Van Dyne should have been and rarely has been in the regular universe.

I loved #13, “Attack of the 50 ft Girl!” – With that great cover inspired by the classic movie poster. The insides give nods to King Kong and Bert I Gordon’s “War of the Colossal Beast” (Janet holding the bus). The writing by Parker is fast and full of wit and charm… Leonard Kirk’s art was amazing. Great issue.

Another question: Do you think they’ll ever collect these in a regular sized trade. Those Digests are too small for me, heck I have to wear my reading glasses when I read a regular sized book these days.

As for DC, I wouldn’t even know where to start. I always liked Catwoman and looked at a tpb by Loeb and Sale, but considering I haven’t read anything with her in it in years I don’t know if I’d be lost (She had a baby? That doesn’t sound like the fiercely independent and free Selina Kyle I know and love)

So whatcha’ reading? And is there anything you’d recommend I try out?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 04:36:54 PM by Firebrand » Logged
Agent 333
Modular Armor

Scientist Supreme of Stark Idea Mechanics

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 07:24:20 PM »

Ms. Marvel is great. So far her stuff is well integrated with the big events (though she skipped out on WWH), but it skims the ground enough that you don't have to have followed the whole thing to 'get it'. Plus, the Civil War trade is only half about the actual Civil War, the rest is just non-event Ms. Marvel awesomeness.

Currently my monthly reading list is:
Invincible Iron Man
Iron Man: Director of SHIELD
Ms. Marvel
Captain America
Secret Invasion

I'll probably add War Machine when that starts in a few months...
Mr_Fabulous
Neo-Classic Armor

"I'm not a businessman, I'm a business, man."

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:56:20 PM »

I also bought the first tpb for Ms Marvel

I heard good things when this started, but nothing much since. It's supposed to be pretty funny, as far as relaunches go. Any confirmation on that?

Personally, I haven't been able to get into Marvel stuff lately, it just doesn't look like I'm missing out on anything. Since I'm not a big DC fan either, that leaves me with few choices for the month. That being said, Batman RIP is the best thing going right now in my opinion and for me, its only competition in the field of "creative interpretations of batman" is All-Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder which is only getting better and better.
Ironghost
Global Moderator
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 10:45:16 PM »

I was enjoying the "Marvel Adventures" quite a bit there.  I've read a couple of issues of each.

Otherwise, it's a big "Meh" for me still.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.  -- Bill Watterson, "Calvin and Hobbes"
Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

AI Moderator, Metal Head Column Writer

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 11:36:13 AM »

Not much lately, trying to catch up.  I couldn't get through Ultimate IM 2, it was just lame.  IM/Doom rocked.  I need to read Invincible IM and this new one, the Golden Avenger.  DC is lame, too.  Oh, and I need to get through some IM trade paperbacks, because everyone loves team Knauf.  And Enter the Mandarin.

I just can't get into much these days, because all the writing is the same and sucks.

heath

Metal Head Movie News Writer
www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
Iron Techie
Classic Golden Avenger

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:17:06 PM »

My monthly reading list is pretty short, so far. It's only:

• Invincible Iron Man
  • Secret Invasion
  • Hulk - but will probably drop it soon. I'd rather give the new War Machine book a shot.

I've been thinking of starting the latest Thor series. Anyone know anything about it? Is it any good? I picked up the first Thor/Secret Invasion tie-in and I enjoyed that one.

Is the IM/Doom one the four-issue one written by Layton & Michelinie?

When the hitman comes, he knows damn well he has been cheated.
Metal Head
Iron Man Tattoo Freak!
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

AI Moderator, Metal Head Column Writer

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:28:59 PM »

Micheline/Layton, yes!

Short and sweet list, I dig it.

As far as Thor goes, I want to go back and get the Dan Jurgens-scripted run.

heath

Metal Head Movie News Writer
www.advancediron.org
www.heathmcknight.com
Firebrand
Stealth Armor

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 05:56:00 PM »

I might check out War machine for an issue or two. I'll probably stick with Invincible IM and Marvel Adventures: Avengers as my monthlies. And go the tpb rout for Ms. Marvel and Dardevil (I've got the 2nd MM and 1st Brubaker DD trades on order). 

I have no interest in DOS in the least. I should probably pick up that Golden Avenger issue and see what that's a about.
JDD01
Silver Centurion

Artist of Armors

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 07:32:52 PM »

Reading now:
Iron Man Director of Shield
Secret Invasion
Invicible Iron Man
Both Main Avengers titles

Can't wait to read:
Deadpool (I like him as much as Iron Man)
War Machine(two or three months to go until lanch)

Returning to:
Amazing Spidey
Antihero for Hire(It's a web comic)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 07:39:06 PM by JDD01 » Logged

Check out my artwork at: http://www.jddishmonart.deviantart.com/,checkout my webcomic: http://nexgentheseries.thecomicstrip.org/
,my tumblr at http://sealabcomicproduction.tumblr.com/,and my new Patreon Page: http://www.patreon.com/jddishmon for exclusive access to new comics before everyone else
Typhon
Hulk Buster Armor

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »

I fell back into comics a few years ago after a 10 year hiatus on all books save a few Star Wars comics and Iron Man.  I started reading again with Iron Man, Captain America (the MK book), Fallen Angel, Captain Marvel (the Peter David book) and Dreamwave's Transformers. 

Now I read a number of titles including Ms. Marvel (a solid and fun title), Powers, Buffy, Astonishing X-Men, X-Factor, SW Legacy, Criminal, and Fell.  I can't find any clear way into the DCU though.  All-Star Superman is excellent but the mainstream books are so hindered by al these "Crisis" events.  I tried reading "Trinity" starring Supes, Bats, and Wonder Woman, but it's really just a JLA book that focuses a lot on B and C list characters I don't know. 

And FYI: "Golden Avenger" was basically another issue of MA: Iron Man.  Was good though.       
Chaos
Extremis Armor

I Hate Magic

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »

Reading now:
Iron Man Director of Shield
Secret Invasion
Invicible Iron Man
Both Main Avengers titles

That's what I am reading, plus the Red Hulk saga (probably going to drop it at it's conclusion), and the Transformers books that come out (going to trim down on some of those though). I'd say I'm going to drop at least one Avengers title after SI sicne I dont see IM being in both.

The IronJedi
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Columnist: Ferro Files

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 10:50:53 AM »

Highly recommend Captain America by Brubaker and Epting, as well as the aforementioned Star Wars: Legacy. And despite incurring the wrath of Arachnophiles, I'm enjoying Amazing Spider-Man. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the way things were handled with Peter & M.J.'s marriage but the BND stories are very entertaining.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:03:43 AM by The IronJedi » Logged

“I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." - Albert Camus
Firebrand
Stealth Armor

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 11:46:02 PM »

Big anniversary sale at my local comics shop, so I picked up a bunch of trades (and the Iron Man/Dr Doom HB)

Long Reviews with Spoilers…

I bought the rest of the MS Marvel trades. I like this series; I like the humor and the action. The art is generally sharp and easy on the eyes. But I find Brian Reed's writing to be schizophrenic sometimes and difficult to follow. For example. In the Monster Island story, Cru at first seems like she cares, is sorry about the miscommunication and is trying to help – then she’s suddenly mad and berates Ms Marvel… who granted is pretty wishy washy, but all these wishy washy, back and forth personality traits really felt forced and made it difficult for me to get into the groove of the piece.  (and Reed does this a lot, first Marvels going to be the best of the best, then she kind of forgets about that and is off on some other tangent. Maybe that’s his plan, maybe he views Carol as indecisive)

As for confusion, the Modok story was harder to follow than the film “Memento”. I really had to stop and re-read this several times. Now, I’m not a stupid man. Unlike oh, Robert Downey Jr. for example, I didn’t have a problem understanding the Dark Knight. But maybe there’s different kinds of intelligence. I can deal with philosophical puzzles but struggle with scientific ones?  The whole teleportation thing and the explanations given baffled me.

On the plus side, the story with Puppet Master was one of the best, most entertaining things I’ve read since my return to the comics fold. The team members she’s assembled (or was assembled for her) are colorful and interesting. Machine Man was a riot, I loved him and want more!

Overall the good outweighed the bad and I’ll buy the next trade when it’s released.

I also tried the first Will Pfeifer Catwoman trade. (he has 7 or 8 issues before this that haven’t been collected) – This was a little hard to follow because I guess it’s part of DC “One Year later” thingy. I’m not familiar with what DC was doing with that but there’s all this stuff that’s referred to, but not really explained and I’m lost. But the story is grabbing me despite that.

I like what Pfeifer is doing, much better than Brubaker…. Which I know is blasphemy and I should be like everyone else and hail Brubaker as a God and that his Catwoman was pure genius… sorry, but I didn’t like it. Not one bit. Frankly I found his run dry as toast.

So I’m in the minority there.

Aside from that, the art by David Lopez is stunning.  His Catwoman is sexy but realistically rendered (I’m not one of those guys who complains about cheesecake, I like the Adam Hughes covers seen here a lot, but I prefer Catwoman the way Lopez draws her. Sleek, lithe and not so top heavy)

Overall, though it was confussing and I wish they’d collect Pfeifers first 7 or 8 into a Trade. Catwoman has always been one of my favorite DC characters and I’ll definitely be back for more. (Sadly, the series ended at issue #82)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 11:48:42 PM by Firebrand » Logged
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 11:11:42 PM »

Everyone should be reading Ms. Marvel right now. It's easily one of the best books that Marvel has been putting out for years now.

ironbyte
Golden Armor

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 08:52:07 AM »

My currently monthly reading list is:

Invincible Iron Man
Iron Man: Director of SHIELD (abandoned after #32)
Ms. Marvel
Thunderbolts
Secret Invasion
Avengers/Invaders
New Avengers
Mighty Avengers (i'm a avengers/bendis fan  Grin)

After Secret invasion i'll add ti my list:

Spiderwoman
Dark Avengers

Italian Fan of Iron Man
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: