Advanced Iron Home
September 25, 2017, 05:36:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iron Man: Legacy of Doom Thread  (Read 15941 times)
The IronJedi
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Columnist: Ferro Files

« on: April 16, 2008, 11:46:07 AM »

Newsarama has a spoiler free review up of IM:LoD. Thumbs up as far as the reviewer is concerned.

“I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." - Albert Camus
Iron Kaiser
Extremis Armor

This Afro will come back!

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 05:58:52 PM »

*SPOILERS*

I'm loving how this is going so far.  Iron Man going to Latveria to assist Doom, only to get trapped in Hell forever is a good start thus far.
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 12:24:46 PM »

I was really impressed with the first issue. The story was entertaining, we had action and great characters. I don't want to see Iron Man melt down his armors, but the idea that L&M addressed Extremis and that Stark was securing the tech that he doesn't need was a well thought out compliment to the new status quo. Of course, I'm sure other armors will continue to pop up, but I thought it was a smart storytelling device they came up with there.

I have been a fan of Ron Lim since his Silver Surfer days all the way through his Future Comics work. He's doing a great job so far in this mini, too! The layouts are awesome with some really dynamic panel work... it really made the book fun to look at!  The colors were really vibrant too with great inked linework... honestly the first issue of this book was a coloful, eyecandy joy to look at with a really solid start to the story.  Seriously the IM:LoD team is battin' a thousand so far.

nicktem
War Machine

he lives, he walks, he conquers!

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 11:55:19 PM »

reading this tonight...been saving it

Chaos
Extremis Armor

I Hate Magic

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:32:25 PM »

I really enjoyed the first issue. The plot was great with th characters being spot on and I love the setup. It's nice to see Starka nd Doom continuing to throw their small insults at eachother. Lim continues his good work, with his style and layouts I kind of felt like I was reading a comic "from back in the day" so to speak. I'm very glad he was brought on board for this, great choice. Layton's inks were good and I liked the colors (when's the last time I said that?).

This is shaping up to be a really awesome series.

nicktem
War Machine

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 07:31:50 AM »

Just finished reading it. I'm in the same boat as Chaos, loved this first issue....bit sad to see the old red n gold go but it was handled in a good way. Doom is sneaky as ever and the art and writing are spot on. Lim is awesome. And Michelline and Layton have still got it, soooo got it. They write are very good story. Know exactly how to capture the reader.

the idea that L&M addressed Extremis and that Stark was securing the tech that he doesn't need was a well thought out compliment to the new status quo. Of course, I'm sure other armors will continue to pop up, but I thought it was a smart storytelling device they came up with there.

This sums it up the best. Classic L&M. Great writing!

As Chaos, said it was like reading a comic "from back in the day", very cool.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 07:33:43 AM by nicktem » Logged

Iron Kaiser
Extremis Armor

This Afro will come back!

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 03:40:20 PM »

The way Michelinie wrote the first issue definitely made me think of the good old days when comics were good.
brohara
Modular Armor

A.I. Columnist: Iron Man In Action

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 02:03:18 AM »

Delayed in getting to this issue, but I definitely wanted to comment on this too...

There were panels of Iron Man that were so reminiscent of the good old days
that it was truly refreshing. Layton is back with the right Iron Man vibe. I had
honestly felt that his Bad Blood work was a bit off, it didn't feel like his usual
work. But this feels like Iron Man to me. Very happy with it.

And I'll definitely support the comments on Stark breaking down the older suits.
Somewhat validating to see L&M come in with such a statement after all the IM
suits we've seen recently, being taken over for evil purposes. Particularly after
the Armor Wars, it makes sense; Stark would be protecting his tech from theft.
Yet MANY stories are running currently on the notion that Stark's tech CAN be
taken over. You tell 'em, Bob and Dave.

Very strong issue. Enjoying this so far. Looking forward to the next issue.
I Like Cynic
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 07:10:07 AM »

Yep really enjoyed it, really fun. as pointed out, it's really really old school, perhaps a little quaint. I wasn't blown away by it to be honest, but a nostalgic trip back to how comics used to be
ROB JAN
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 08:35:03 PM »

Iron Man: Legacy of Doom Thread #1 of 4 (SPOILERS)

Writers: David Michelinie and Boby Layton.
Inks: Bob Layton.
Pencils: Ron Lim.
Colorist: Moose Baumann

Oh nose! There goes one of my fave armours as Tony (perhaps wisely) melts down one of his old suits at the Coney island lab. We are NOT amused....

On the other hand, the opportunity to say, "Tony Stark's Amusement Park" is always welcome!

I almost expected the poor old armour to curl up one thumb as it was detesselated by energy beams and
lowered into the crucible....

Mind you, so many of his suits have been junked as remote units recently it's a wonder he has any left.

And, wouldn't it be better to just dismantle them down to components and put the bits back in stock? Then again, I guess Mr Stark does tend to use his toys to destruction and well beyond design parameters, so obviously complete recycling makes sense.

So, anyway, while breaking the suit down he reviews a suit data recording that he doesn't remember...until he DOES. A story that piggybacks off his encounter with a certain time machine and Doctor Doom in King Arthur's court....but which until now has been cloaked in his memory by, what?

In the flashback Tony goes to what seems to be Hell, where he and Doctor Doom battle blobby demons until
Doom betrays the Golden Avenger to Mephisto.

As everyone's noted this title reads and feels very much like a retro one, obviously, as befits the flashback setting. Equally obviously Tony didn't STAY in Hell, perhaps being sprung by Spike, Angel or even the Brothers Winchester's dear old dad? Anyway, it's very satisfying to see Michelinie and Layton back in harness together...and the fluid molten metal splashed setting is especially complimentary to Layton's 'reflective' style. 

I can't wait to see what variations on the 'Camelot' arc they forge.  ("Iron Man" #149-150 and #249-250.) And of course, Doom and Tony engaged in verbal and physical duelling is always welcome. Doom often has a similar dynamic to the Mandarin running with his technomagic in opposition to Stark's scientific rationalism.

The Escher Hell deserved a double page spread I thought, and I can see how this may have something to do with Doom's mother p'rhaps?

By the way, cute that Mephisto has a seedy office! Check out the labels on his filing cabinet though. Figures!

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 07:58:41 PM by ROB JAN » Logged
dancadera
First Red & Gold Armor

He's the cool exec, with a heart of steel

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 11:03:53 AM »

My all time favorite Dr. Doom story is that Dr. Doom/Dr. Strange: Triumph and Tragedy Graphic novel so when I saw Doom and Mephisto in this I was totally sold.  (I would have bought it anyways, but I'm glad it was Michelinie-style awesome.

The IronJedi
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Columnist: Ferro Files

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 01:32:27 PM »

Welcome to the forum, dancadera.

“I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is." - Albert Camus
dancadera
First Red & Gold Armor

He's the cool exec, with a heart of steel

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 01:58:32 PM »

Hey thanks IronJedi. I've been reading A.I./collecting Iron Man for a few years now (I've got every issue from #1 in 1968 to the present!), but never really hit the forums until I sat in the same row as brohara at the Iron Man movie opening.  I was surprised to hear him say he was writing articles for something I actually read, especially 'cause we're in a pretty small city. What were the chances? 

Chaos
Extremis Armor

I Hate Magic

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 06:38:51 PM »

Thats pretty interesting how that worked out. Welcome to the boards

nicktem
War Machine

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2008, 07:23:05 PM »

yeah ditto. welcome aboard.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print