Advanced Iron Home
November 28, 2014, 04:33:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you want to become a member of our forum, send an email to advancedironmembers at gmail dot com.

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iron Man v1 #282 (1st War Machine) !!!!!!  (Read 3915 times)
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

A.I. Editor-In-Chief | Columnist

« on: March 21, 2008, 05:00:08 PM »

I'd like to say that I'm shocked, but I've been in this for way too long to be surprised by hype and speculation. Needelss to say, if you've got them, now's the time.  Check this out:

Iron Man v.1 #282 CGC 9.8

nicktem
War Machine

he lives, he walks, he conquers!

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:00:43 PM »

I got that issue but im not selling it. If i had doubles i'd sell them now but i dont; so the public can....explicit content

IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 12:01:17 AM »

I got that issue but im not selling it. If i had doubles i'd sell them now but i dont; so the public can....explicit content

LOL, believe me man, CGC make all the difference. I'd be very surprised if you ever saw a raw copy of that issue sell for that ever.

Roger A Ott II
Comic Book Historian
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

Writer/Researcher for Marvel's Official Handbooks

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 12:06:39 PM »

That issue's worth even more because I had a letter printed in it!

Outside of that, I still say CGC is the devil...Grin
ROB JAN
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »

Whew! And here's my copies just sitting in an ordinary plastic storage tub along with the rest of the comics.....

I don't understand why this is so pricey? Surely they're not that rare?

IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 09:29:11 PM »

Whew! And here's my copies just sitting in an ordinary plastic storage tub along with the rest of the comics.....

I don't understand why this is so pricey? Surely they're not that rare?

That issue sold highly not only because it was the first app of War Machine, but because it was CGC graded in such a high condition. 9.8s dont even come off the press in that high grade sometimes (although there are significantly more 9.8s than 9.9s).  You may think that IM 282 chillin untouched in that storage tub is NMT, but most likely it's not.  CGC is like being in an honor's class in high school. While all the other kids are calling their papers "A's" the honors kid has to bust his butt to get the A. CGC holds the comics to a true standard, and it's been my experience that their grading is relatively accurate, although some odd discrepancies do sneak in there from time to time.

The idea with CGC though is that if someone is selling you what they claim to be is a near perfect comic book, CGC can guarantee that claim to some degree.

nicktem
War Machine

he lives, he walks, he conquers!

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 12:34:13 AM »

LOL, believe me man, CGC make all the difference. I'd be very surprised if you ever saw a raw copy of that issue sell for that ever.

yeah true. mine's in"good" status. as i got it when i was a kid i didnt really know the worth of them back then. still mine's MINE! bwahahhahaha!

yeah CGC is needed. i'd hate to be some poor schmuck who gets a dodgy copy when the for sale sign said "near mint".

ROB JAN
Renaissance Armor

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 05:25:53 AM »

I see, ta for the 'xplainy IMJ. Seeing as how I've been known to pin comics to the drawing board, spill paint on 'em and the like I guarantee some of my mags aren't worth the paper they be printed on...

Not enuff for my possessions to sit stored away or stay in boxes. I gotta work to get 'em, they gotta work to justify me lugging the buggers around.... Cheesy

Roger A Ott II
Comic Book Historian
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 09:56:12 AM »

yeah true. mine's in"good" status. as i got it when i was a kid i didnt really know the worth of them back then.

The true worth of a comic book is the entertainment you get from it, not the perceived aftermarket value.  If you enjoyed the comic back when you first bought it, then you did know the worth of it.
Agent 333
Modular Armor

Scientist Supreme of Stark Idea Mechanics

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 12:33:12 PM »

I agree with Roger 100%...
That being said, I was a bit suprised when I read the latest Advanced Iron saying that the issue where Tony gives up the armor to Rhodey being worth $70 or so, because I picked up that issue about 8 months back at a flea market for like 30 cents. Of course, my copy is in 'fair' condition at best, but it's got no folds or tears. I Thought that was nifty.
Aren't flea markets grand?
Roger A Ott II
Comic Book Historian
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 09:46:24 PM »

I was a bit suprised when I read the latest Advanced Iron saying that the issue where Tony gives up the armor to Rhodey being worth $70 or so, because I picked up that issue about 8 months back at a flea market for like 30 cents. Of course, my copy is in 'fair' condition at best, but it's got no folds or tears. I Thought that was nifty.
Aren't flea markets grand?

I've purchased many a comic at flea markets, garage sales and the like for pennies.  As long as they're intact, they all read the same despite the condition.

It all comes back to that term I love: Perceived value.  A comic is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.  I gave up on price guides long ago, because they're essentially useless.  A shop I used to frequent several gray hairs ago had a comic on the wall with a $50 price tag.  After it sat there unsold for awhile, I offered him $35 for it.  He declined, stating that Overstreet listed it at $65 so it was already at a discount.  I waited a couple more months, and it was still unsold.  I made my same offer.  Again, he declined.  I only went to that shop for a few more months, but the last time I was there, he still had the book on the wall.  Probably still does, if he's even still in business.

Prices can't be nailed down, ever.  At conventions, I've flipped through 50-cent boxes and found high-grade comics other dealers were asking $5 for.  CGC can offer a somewhat reliable grading curve, but that's it.   It's really all up to the consumer to decide how much it's actually worth to them.  And apparently, according to the winner of the IM #282, it's $102.50.  I wouldn't pay that much, so it's not worth that much to me.
Agent 333
Modular Armor

Scientist Supreme of Stark Idea Mechanics

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 10:46:22 PM »

Rog, did he even try to haggle? Counter offer for $45 or something? Or did he just say "if it says $50 it's $50"?

Sometimes, people are idiots.
Roger A Ott II
Comic Book Historian
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »

Nope, there was no haggling to be done.  Not sure why, unless he paid too much for it and was trying to recoup his own cost.

On the other side of the coin, I frequented a shop in Grand Rapids, Michigan back in 1992 called D&B Comics, and a guy came in with a cardboard box filled with old comics.  I watched the owner go through the box and offered the guy several hundred for the entire thing.  I had noticed a considerable stack of early 70's Iron Man books in there, so after the seller had left, I approached the shop owner and asked about the IM comics.  It turned out he had bought about 20+ issues I didn't already own, so I asked how much he wanted for the lot of them.  He said since I had been within earshot when he bought them, he sold the lot to me for $75, which he generously allowed me to pay in installments since I was dirt poor at the time.  Iron Man #55 was in there, and in 1992, that book was hot (first Thanos appearance), and the dealer knew it, but because he also knew I was such an IM fan, and a regular customer in his store, he gave me a helluva deal.

Sadly, I moved away from that town a few months later, and when I went back to visit a couple years later, his shop was gone, probably a sad victim of the mid-90's implosion.
IMJ
Global Moderator
Extremis Armor

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 11:34:40 AM »

I agree with Roger 100%...
That being said, I was a bit suprised when I read the latest Advanced Iron saying that the issue where Tony gives up the armor to Rhodey being worth $70 or so, because I picked up that issue about 8 months back at a flea market for like 30 cents.

That's for a raw copy. Again, CGC’s involvement in this aftermarket trading is the key to these sales. Also, please remember that accuracy is important to me, so all of my data for the SMR comes from actual market trading observation and market research that I do.  None of what I project is speculation beyond what I glean from the data I aggregate from eBay, price guides and LCS research.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 11:42:31 AM by IMJ » Logged

Chaos
Extremis Armor

I Hate Magic

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 12:12:46 PM »

It took me about 3 years to find a copy of that when I first started collecting, and I think I bought it for $5.00 in very good condition. It was at the biggest comic convention in Pittsburgh, and I just happened to walk by a booth where a guy asked if I had anything in particular I was looking for. Amazingly, he had that and #281 which I also needed. No matter how valuable the issue becomes, it's just too damn good to give up.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: